News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Get the PPTP Vista bug, can I use IPSec in a similar "call home way"?  (Read 1939 times)
« on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:06 »
Seb74 ***

Vista gives me 0.0.0.0 gateway.
Tried disable IPv6 for PPTP-interface, tried ip route delete 0.0.0.0 and a renew, also have all updates since its a legit Vista, nothing helps.

So I thought maybe I could setup a similar VPN that can be dialed up and logging in with a PSK with help of IPSec....but seems IPSec doesn't have anything to do with PPTP. Its not designed to be used for quickly firing up a secure tunnel to your home network, its designed to take a year setting up, only working with IP-adresses and no FQDN, and only be used by big corporations....kind of like that, right?

But maybe, oh maybe, I thought, the Mobile Clients could be the thing to aim for, sounds like a mobile client out there could make a quick call home, but then I read this on another site, implying that tunnel mode is what you need for a, well, tunnel, across the internet, and the other mode is just to encrypt traffic locally sort of.

"Transport Mode provides a secure connection between two endpoints as it encapsulates IP's payload, while Tunnel Mode encapsulates the entire IP packet to provide a virtual "secure hop" between two gateways. The latter is used to form a traditional VPN, where the tunnel generally creates a secure tunnel across an untrusted Internet. "

Oh well, I dont need any VPN, just thought it would be fun to try out if I could get it working.
Typical Sad

Sorry about the whine-post Wink
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 14:52:39 »
dphreak *

Vista gives me 0.0.0.0 gateway.
Tried disable IPv6 for PPTP-interface, tried ip route delete 0.0.0.0 and a renew, also have all updates since its a legit Vista, nothing helps.

Did you find a solution yet? I have the exact same problem. I must have read a thousand forum posts on the topic without finding an answer. It seems that this behavior is by-design but that doesn't help me.

Can anyone confirm that this is NOT a monowall issue? And that there is nothing I can do on the firewall to solve this?

Pages: [1]