News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: IPv6 DNS  (Read 4179 times)
« on: February 28, 2010, 16:08:03 »
grantpe *

A little oddity I've spotted: with IPv6 enabled an fully working, along with IPv6 DHCP etc, which all seems to be working fine, I still find that my desktop has problems under a few programs as it doesn't have a a IPv6 DNS server address configured. It still gets IPv6 records, just doing manual checks on domain resolutions using 'dig' (eg dig -6 ipv6.google.com) fails until I manually add the internal (LAN) address of my monowall box. Then everything works fine.

Shouldn't monowall ideally provide it's IPv6 address to IPv6 capable computers for DNS resolution, so if there are any that are IPv6 only they can still resolve names? It's unlikely but will be changing.

Note: I am running the DNS forwarder, if I wasn't it should be such an issue as I have a IPv6 address as one of my DNS servers which would be passed back.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 18:38:37 »
brushedmoss ****

m0n0wall's dns forwarder handles AAAA and A record lookups, and it also handles client requests on ipv6 and upstream ipv6 servers.

You should be able to resolve ipv6.google.com via ipv4 or ipv6 transports, when querying for an AAAA record.

for example, assuming an ipv6 client,

dig -6 @ipv6-addr-m0n0wall ipv6.google.com AAAA

should work fine.

I'm not sue what you mean by 'add the internal (LAN) address of my monowall box' , add it to what ?
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 19:54:21 »
tRr *

I believe the original poster is just noticing that the IPv6 RA does not currently give out DNS server addresses as DHCP does.

Does anyone know if the RA feature will ever support the handing out of DNS information? I see RFC 5006 from a quick Google but it seems like quite the oversight on the IPv6 designers.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 20:28:30 »
brushedmoss ****

Many modern implementations for RA support (like RADVD) do now support the RDNSS option, however the RA we use in m0n0wall doesn't.

Also I haven't seen much support of it on the client side yet.

It was an oversight, and a surprising one.  XP supported having ipv6 dns servers configured, but had no support for querying them in the XP resolver libraries, which is just as bizzare..

Pages: [1]