News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: generic-pc-1.3.img hard-configures sis, not the interfaces detected  (Read 2647 times)
« on: April 23, 2010, 07:23:02 »
udippel *

My i386-board contains 4 NICs, fxp0 ... fxp3.
When booting, under 1. these interfaces show, as fxpn, and show the correct 'UP' states. On the monitor, however, both LAN and WAN show as sis0 and sis1. There is no DHCP available on the fxpn, and no static connection possible, neither.
If the generic-pc-1.32.img does what it says, it looks like it had the 'sis' hardcoded, and ifconfig-ed sis (and presumably see the error messages going into /dev/null).

Since the NICs cannot be configured correctly, no webGUI can be used to provide further information (or use the system at all).

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 07:47:38 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Did you actually go through the "assign network interfaces" process to assign LAN/WAN/OPT1/OPT2 functions to your 4 fxp NICs? The sis0/sis1 stuff should then be overwritten and never appear again.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:25:20 »
udippel *

Did you actually go through the "assign network interfaces" process to assign LAN/WAN/OPT1/OPT2 functions to your 4 fxp NICs? The sis0/sis1 stuff should then be overwritten and never appear again.

Fine, thanks. Consider this one solved.
I was unfortunate to go through a Soekris setup first, and there the NICs are identified properly.
The 'Quick Start Guide' says: "Although this example shows sis0 and sis1 as the two Ethernet interfaces these names depend on the Ethernet cards that are installed." That had mislead me. These names do NOT depend on the cards installed. The sentence as such should be changed.
The 'Quick Start Guide' should point out clearly, that one has to set the interfaces. No 'plug-and-play'.   Wink

Uwe

Pages: [1]