News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: "bricked" my soekris 45xx?  (Read 2374 times)
« on: April 25, 2010, 03:52:18 »
ritchie70 *

I tried to upgrade my m0n0wall-running Soekris 45xx from 1.2 or so (I didn't make a note of it) to the latest via the web interface. (I had to rename the .IMG file to get it to do it if that tells you anything.)

It hasn't been able to successfully reboot itself for quite a long while, so I gave it a good hour then went and power cycled it.

At that point it didn't seem at all happy - couldn't ping it, wouldn't issue a DHCP address.

So I pulled the CF card out (64M) and stuck it in a Windows 7 PC, and used the PC to write the image to it per the instructions on the web site (using physdiskwrite.)

Still no ping, no DHCP - either at the address I had configured (192.168.0.1) or the default (192.168.1.1) on any of the 3 NICs.

I happen to have two of the same Soekris, so I stuck the CF in the other one - also no response.

I'll plug into the console on Monday or Tuesday (need to grab a serial cable and USB:RS232 converter at work) and I'll grab a spare CF card for testing purposes, too.

Fortunately I have an old D-Link router, so I have things limping along, but I want my m0n0wall back.

Anyone have any thoughts?

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 21:58:29 »
SiY11 *

Sounds like my old problem where the monowall is naming the NIC cards the wrong thing

Wrong
<interfaces>
      <lan>
         <if>fxp0</if>

Correct
<interfaces>
      <lan>
         <if>vr0</if>

To fix this you can do one of two things:
1. edit the XML file directly.
2. make sure your not using a generic-PC install instead of a 48xx install or the other way around.

Sometime if you use Intel based NIC card I would get this regardless of install platform but it sounds like you are using a 4500 board.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 22:02:33 by SiY11 »

Pages: [1]