News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: At my wits end with a confusing situation, HELP!!!  (Read 1400 times)
« on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:12 »
tranoidnoki *

Okay, so before I begin, I am a bit of a networking novice, and I have a vague idea of what I am trying to do here, but I am not 100% sure on it. I want to also mention that the network was not set up by me, but bringing in some buddies that are better at networking than I am, have told me that the topography is absolute garbage. I am trying to stick this m0n0wall captive portal in, to no avail. There are two goals I am trying to accomplish here

1) Allow everything to play nicely on different subnets: We have internal software that we use, based on MSSQL and Access, and that needs to work wirelessly

2) Have a Captive Portal set up for employees/volunteers to use

My network setup is atrocious, so bear with me:

A modem is attached to a Cisco 800 Series router, which I am told controls the Static IP we have here. Connected to that is a Linksys RV042 4-Port VPN router, which controls network access at a second site. Connected to the lan port, is a 24 port switch, which is linked up to all the machines in the office. Handling DNS, DHCP, etc is a Windows Server 2003R2 machine, which also does file storage, SQL, AD, etc.

I am trying to connect m0n0wall to a WRT54G that I'm using as an access point, and get the rest of it on the network. I have 3 interfaces, WAN, LAN, and, PORTAL for the captive portal. WAN is connected to the switch, LAN is connected to a second NIC on the server, and PORTAL is connected to LAN port 1 on the wireless router.

Everything is set up according to the tutorial* I followed, and m0n0wall can ping addresses from the console, but the wireless is a lost cause. I can't do ANYTHING on it, I don't even get the captive portal page. When troubleshooting the adapter, I get various cryptic messages about DNS either not responding or not being contacted, et al. 

I have been at this for a couple of weeks now, have moved wires around, etc, and can't figure out for the life of me where to go next. I managed to get the captive portal working ONCE, but couldnt get past the page, and even then, I don't remember what I did to do it, because I got a call (I am an overnight crisis hotline counselor, and most of my work is done when I'm on shift, which is naturally prone to interruptions) and I was in the middle of moving wires, and I lost track of everything.

I hope someone can make sense of the crap I'm spewing and help me find a solution! Thanks in advance!

Pages: [1]