News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: WAN Interface Address NAT generates buggy ipnat rule.  (Read 3797 times)
« on: May 04, 2010, 23:37:25 »
remmy *

Version 1.32

Wan address: W.W.W.W/30 (public IP)
DMZ address: D.D.D.D/29 (public IPs)
LAN address: L.L.L.L/24 (private IPs)

When I create an inbound nat rule using the WAN Interface Address to a LAN subnet server, m0n0wall generates an ipnat rule like the following:

rdr rl0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> L.L.L.X port 80 tcp

This is a bug.  It causes the router to nat all requests even for ip addresses that are not the WAN Interface Address (DMZ ips!).  It should be creating a rule like so:

rdr rl0 W.W.W.W/32 port 80 -> L.L.L.X port 80 tcp

my workaround is to never use the WAN interface address for NAT when you have public IPs on the DMZ.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 01:36:01 by remmy »
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 20:50:26 »
knightmb ****

Version 1.32

Wan address: W.W.W.W/30 (public IP)
DMZ address: D.D.D.D/29 (public IPs)
LAN address: L.L.L.L/24 (private IPs)

When I create an inbound nat rule using the WAN Interface Address to a LAN subnet server, m0n0wall generates an ipnat rule like the following:

rdr rl0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> L.L.L.X port 80 tcp

This is a bug.  It causes the router to nat all requests even for ip addresses that are not the WAN Interface Address (DMZ ips!).  It should be creating a rule like so:

rdr rl0 W.W.W.W/32 port 80 -> L.L.L.X port 80 tcp

my workaround is to never use the WAN interface address for NAT when you have public IPs on the DMZ.

I always wondered if that was a bug or not. But yeah, I've seen that for years. Thought maybe that's just how m0n0wall works, but perhaps it is a bug in the sense that it seems logical that only the NAT rule would apply to the single IP you set it for rather than all of them.

Radius Service for m0n0wall Captive Portal - http://amaranthinetech.com

Pages: [1]