News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Syslog over IPsec VPN  (Read 2236 times)
« on: May 18, 2010, 18:14:53 »
iridris ***

I'm unable to get syslog working over an IPsec VPN between two 1.32 m0n0wall boxes.  The syslog/snmp server is a Zenoss virtual machine.  Zenoss is able to pull SNMP info from both the local and remote m0n0wall boxes, but can only get syslog info from the local box.  The firewall rules should be allowing any protocol through.

On a side, possibly related note, the SNMP on the remote box only works when I use the "Bind to LAN interface only" option.  Is there any explanation about what exactly this option does and if it limits SNMP in any way?  Perhaps a similar option is needed for syslog?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 19:32:07 »
brushedmoss ****

On a side, possibly related note, the SNMP on the remote box only works when I use the "Bind to LAN interface only" option.  Is there any explanation about what exactly this option does and if it limits SNMP in any way? 

it adds this to the snmpd config

Code:
agentaddress udp:161@1.1.1.1

where 1.1.1.1 is your LAN IP

otherwise there is no agentaddress statement.

There is an equivalent option for syslog that isn't configurable from the UI of m0n0wall.  you could try kill syslogd and restart it with the same parameters and add the -b option with you local lan ip address and see does it solve the problem for you (most likely will), then maybe someone will code it into m0n0wall.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 17:01:42 »
iridris ***

Your solution worked perfectly.  I killed the syslogd process and added the -b option with my LAN address, and m0n0wall is now sending syslog info over the VPN to my syslog server.

Thanks!

Since this is something that will need done on every reboot, can I officially request that this be made into a feature?
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 23:18:24 »
brushedmoss ****

Put in the request under 'feature requests'

http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/board,19.0.html

you can add a command in config.xml to do this on boot , see http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-hiddenopts.html

Pages: [1]