News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: HP 5710 Thin client  (Read 4861 times)
« on: September 16, 2010, 16:53:07 »
jan k. *

I've managed to install m0n0wall on a HP 5710 thin client. One extra pci network card and a few days fighting with USB disks, dd, gunzip and images and now i have a superb firewall running at only a few volt and no noise at all. It has a Transmeta Efficeon 1.2 GHz processor, 512Mb DDR2 memory and a 256 Mb flash disk. It's runs perfectly  Grin

There is however one small problem. At first the system boot process stopped with a kernel panic saying something about IRQ 3 and 4 and a UART that it could not found. So i disabled the serial ports in the BIOS. Don't need them anyway. After that still a kernel panic but now with a different message about the USB controller. So i disabled the USB controller as well (don't need that on a firewall too) and while in the BIOS i disabled the onboard audio as well. The thin client start and i can't tell how happy i was to see the console menu  Grin But after a few seconds some strange messages appear on the console:

kernel: ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\_TZ_.THRM._TMP] (Node 0xc41267e0), AE_NOT_FOUND
kernel: ACPI-1304: *** Error: Method execution failed [\RTMP] (Node 0xc4126980), AE_NOT_FOUND
kernel: ACPI-0438: *** Error: Looking up [RBYT] in namespace, AE_NOT_FOUND

And this goes on and on. According to log (webinterface -> Diagnostics -> Logs -> System tab) it happens every 10 seconds. I don't have a dedicated monitor attach to the client and for the last 24 hour or so everything runs without any problem. So in a way i don't care but what is this APIC stuff? I googled around and it seems to have something to do with power saving management and you should be able to turn it off in the BIOS. But this is not the case with a HP 5710 thin client, nothing about APIC in the BIOS, and power saving management is off.

It does not seem to have any effect on the firewall itself but where do these messages go? Are they only appear on the console or are they written to a log file as well? I'll guess so otherwise i could not see them in the webinterface. But if there are written to a log file how can i check if this file is'nt filling up to much/fast? There is no SSH running on the box itself so i'm not able to see how much space is left and/or how things are cleaned (i'll guess there is some sort of logrotate?)

I have activate a remote log server but nothing shows up there, only firewall rule actions (which is great). Does anybody has a idea on how to solve this?

Jan
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 22:39:37 »
jan k. *

Nobody?  Huh

Jan
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 13:33:50 »
brushedmoss ****

the syslog server in m0n0wall uses circular logging, so it won't fill you disk.

To fix this properly, you'll have to disable ACPI in m0n0wall, which I've never done :-)

you would need to create a file in /cf/boot/loader.conf

with this line

hint.acpi.0.disabled="1"

but, that is most easily accomplished by modifying the image, which is covered in other threads.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 22:15:09 »
jan k. *

Great! Thank you  Wink

Jan

Pages: [1]