News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: 1.32 harddisk install problem  (Read 3394 times)
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:08:26 »
mcs_5 *

I have just attempted to install 1.32 on an old PC. I normally use monowall on Soekris computers, but in this case I tried to upgrade an existing firewall running OpenBSD 2.x.

I copied the generic-pc-1.32.img image to a 24MB SSD using dfsee. The system did boot, but killed php during the boot process (32MB of RAM is NOT enough anymore). I found two extra 16MB SIMMs, and with 64MB of RAM, the boot completed.

But at the end an error message showed up, stating that the device containing the configuration file could not be found. I don't remember the exact message. The only thing you can do, is press enter to reboot. I thought something had happened to the image, so I wrote it again - same result.

Isn't the configuration file written on the boot drive, like it's done on the Soekris devices?

Just in case the old computer was too weird (it IS weird), I found a different oldie. This time a MediaGX system. The same error message appears at the end of the boot process. This one had USB ports, so I tried inserting a 1GB USB stick. This just resulted in timeout messages during boot, but no improvements otherwise.

What am I doing wrong? Would the embedded image be a better choice for the MediaGX system (it is similar to a net4801 after all...)?

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 13:46:38 »
evongugg *

Try disabling everything unnecessary in the bios.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 00:17:37 »
mcs_5 *

Try disabling everything unnecessary in the bios.

A bit hard - the first motherboard has no built-in LAN, IDE, sound, floppy, serial/parallel. No built-in peripherals, so nothing to switch off Smiley

But the mystery is partly solved. I tried booting the system from CD, and chose to install. That resulted in a no drives found message. I tried connecting a random harddrive instead of the flash drive, and then there is a harddrive available for installation.

Then I noticed that the ad0 line is missing from dmesg when the flash drive is connected. The BIOS finds it, and FreeBSD can boot from it, but not find it Huh

The drive is an M-Systems IDE flash drive - not a Disk-on-Chip or some other M-Systems weirdness. I guess I should buy a PQI 32MB IDE module - those usually work...

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 01:25:58 »
Fred Grayson *****

I run mine on a 16MB PQI IDE DOM

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:23:48 »
ch0mik *

I run mine on a 16MB PQI IDE DOM

Hey,

I have to PQI 16MB M-Systems IDE DiskOnModule from Neoware 2000.

I had problem with run m0n0 with this

Did You edit this image file before install into DoM ?

With Regards
Pawel
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 15:41:27 »
Fred Grayson *****

I didn't make any changes to anything. It just works. The 16MB PQI IDE DOMs I have are quite old though.

The other thing I seem to remember about these is that the DOM must be plugged into the primary IDE port to fully boot.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.

Pages: [1]