News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Compatibility ->X86 Risc based Edimax BR 6315 SRG ?!  (Read 4476 times)
« on: January 17, 2011, 21:14:58 »
Zb1R *

First of all hello !

I have 2 main things to ask about.

1.Will Monowall work on a Edimax BR 6315 SRG .Info regarding the hardware can be found here -> http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=74393 .DD WRT people said it has a a CPU to slow to develop for it. They also lacked a sample.
This old router features X86 Risc CPU (133 or 166Mhz) ,64 megs of RAM and 8 megs of NVRAM so theoretically it should run it.

2.Will Monowall work with :
MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 ,Nforce based mobo with a AMD Sempron LE-140 ,512 RAM and 2 cheap realtek based network cards  or with the Intel alternative combo , MSI G31TM-P21 along a Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz.
Which of this 2 is the most compatible with Monowall.I can have both combos at similar prices where i live.
I intend to use a USB stick as support instead of a HDD to lower power consumption  ,is it ok ?

I would also like to ask what cheap Realtek based network card should i get ,i m refering at what Realtek chip should be on this cards , is RT 8139D chip ok for example ?
Are the onboard LAN cards from the 2 mobos compatible with Monowall ?

I want to use Monowall because i ve already spend almost 300 dollars on 3 useless routers that are not able to do 2 PC-s that game or do P2P with 50 Mb bandwidth they all "die" after some time (i m tired of reseting and restarting and reflashing all day long Smiley  ).

Thank you in advance!

Mobo specs :
K9N6PGM2-V2 -> NVIDIA® MCP61P (6150SE) + Realtek 8201CL
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1872#menu

G31TM-P21 -> Intel® G31+ICH7 + Realtek 8103EL
http://us.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=&cat3_no=&prod_no=1869#menu

LE: If the onboard lans are not supported i can get a 3-rd LAN card and install it in the PCI-E Slot
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 00:25:29 by Zb1R »
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 16:40:54 »
Zb1R *

I see nobody answers on this forum.
No problemo , i posted for the second on the pfSense forum and i ve already got some answers in a matter of hours.
I would have expected some replyes.

It still remains the Edimax BR 6315 SRG question .

Thank you anyway!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 00:29:15 by Zb1R »
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 15:33:50 »
Zb1R *

Oh ,comon is this a phantom forum ?!
This router is X86 based and has 2 USB ports ,it can be used as NAS.
Is it possible to use Monowall or not ?
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 16:51:15 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Have you considered the possibility that nobody knows for sure? Wink

You'd probably have to buy and try it to find out... Though I think it's quite likely that m0n0wall won't work on it without further modifications. Don't buy it if you don't have a backup plan on what to do with it if it doesn't work out.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 17:19:19 »
Zb1R *

Have you considered the possibility that nobody knows for sure? Wink

You'd probably have to buy and try it to find out... Though I think it's quite likely that m0n0wall won't work on it without further modifications. Don't buy it if you don't have a backup plan on what to do with it if it doesn't work out.

I was mad because nobody answered regarding the custom PC Smiley
The other questions regarding the custom build (point 2 of my thread starter) were clarified already on a different forum.

That Edimax router i already have for 2 years i dont need to buy it .
The fact is that the last Edimax firmware is from 2008 Smiley
Seeing that Monowall supports X86 and uses 64 megs made me think it may work somehow.

The Edimax question is pending.
Would be excellent  to get Monowall on it even ,if the CPU is a little slow.
Maybe someone knows.
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 17:42:06 »
Fred Grayson *****

More often than not, it isn't about the CPU and memory. It's about the network interfaces not being supported. If you don't want to look thru the supported devices list as suggested in the documentation, then all you can do is try it and see if it works or not.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 20:26:01 »
Zb1R *

Thank you for the feedback first of all!
If i was somehow rude ,i aplogize !

I ve took a look over the supported devices but i didnt find to much.
The router features a Realtek switch cip from the info i have found untill now.
I m wondering if the Risc CPU its supported ,if it has a floating point or whatever is needed as i read in the list.
I ll need to open the router up and take a picture as the warranty expired already.

How do i upload Monowall in case i want to ?
I presume it needs to be the embeded build ?!
Is there needed to use the serial thingy like the procedure you use to unbrick routers ?
Or i can simply upload it via firmware upload feature ,in case the edimax firmware wants it ?

Once again sorry ,if i was abusive in behaviour.

LE:

I have opened it up and found the folowing chips:

CPU->  RDC R3210-X
RAM-> 2X PSC A3V56S40ETP (2X32 megs cips i suppose)
Radio ->  2 Ralink Chips
----RT 2561ST
----RT 2527L
NVRAM chip ( i suppose) -> MX S074627  -29LV640DBTC-906
Realtek switch -> RTL 8305 SC

Looking at this it may show up that the ralink cips are not supported Smiley and maybe the Realtek cip as well Smiley
I have high detail  pictures if needed.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 21:45:51 by Zb1R »

Pages: [1]