News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Observation win7 PPTP VPN speeds  (Read 4931 times)
« on: January 27, 2011, 16:38:06 »
pbowler *

Howdy all,
I am in love with Monowall!!!!

anyway, had a quick question/observation.

I have a VPN connection using the Win7 Client (PPTP), when I tunnel to my home server from work I notice a slight lag (expected).  as a test I ran speedtest while tunelling.

speedtest while tunnelled to homw from work shows of 1.5 M down , and 1.5 M up.

the speed looks very suspicious (i.e. Throttled).

Here is the setup.
Work ISP- Qwest Fiber to the door. (Speedtest shows 7m Down/ 10M up (yes 10 megs up)
Home ISP- uVerse 12Meg (Speedtest shows 10m down/ 1.5 M up)

Win7 VPN client (PPTP)
Monowall (500mhz P3 192megs RAM)
monowall cpu hovers around 8-10% while I'm VPN'd in with a rare spike tp 25%.
monowall RAM steady at 30%

All tests taken while RDP'd into my home network to watch the monwall resource usage.

I am not necessarily looking for a boost in the VPN tunneled speed, It just struck me as interesting that the speed would be (seemingly set to) 1.5 megs U/D.

any thoughts?

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2011, 19:52:30 »
iridris ***

You won't get any more than 1.5M, as that's all the upload bandwidth you have at your home connection.  The speedtest is first comes down into your home connection, but then has to go back up to the internet to your work connection.  As your upload rate is limited to 1.5M, that's all the more bandwidth you can get while VPN'd home.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:44:12 »
notladstyle **

when tunneling all traffic through, the slowest speed will be the limiting factor.

In your case, when you download from the test site, your monowall must upload to you. When uploading to the  test site, monowall must upload to the test site. either way 1.5M of your home connection is the limiting factor.

Just be glad you didnt run an SMB file share test which will be even worse...

Pages: [1]