News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Asymmetric bandwidth limits?  (Read 3910 times)
« on: February 06, 2011, 05:29:58 »
JdeFalconr *

Hello there,

I work off of a 2.6mbps connection. I'd like to set it so that one of my hosts (host A) can use up to 2.0mbps of down bandwidth while another one of my hosts (host B) can use the remaining. I would also like it set so that host B (and still others on my network - C, D, etc) can use up to my full 2.6mbps when host A is not active. I'm having difficulty figuring out how to set this up with the traffic shaper; any ideas if this is even possible?

Thank you in advance for the help!

EDIT: I just had an idea...could this be do-able by simply defining one pipe for 2.0mbps, assigning it to host A, and doing nothing else? Wouldn't that in effect mean that all traffic to that host had a dedicated 2.0mbps pipe, leaving the rest for other hosts?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 06:13:05 by JdeFalconr »
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 00:10:05 »
Јаневски ***

If I understood You well:
It means that host A has up to 2Mbps, the rest - up to unlimited.
However if all hosts max up their speeds at once the situation of speed battle remains - not guaranteed resources configuration.

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 21:19:50 »
JdeFalconr *

If I understood You well:
It means that host A has up to 2Mbps, the rest - up to unlimited.
However if all hosts max up their speeds at once the situation of speed battle remains - not guaranteed resources configuration.

Thanks for responding!

That's fine with me; this is just a home network and I don't expect more than two hosts to be operating at once. If client A takes its full 2mb/s then the way I envision that the remaining bandwidth will be more than sufficient for client B. At the same time if client A is not active then client B (or any other client, for that matter) will have access to the full bandwidth of the internet connection.

Or, another way to put it, is that I want to limit host A's maximum bandwidth usage to ensure that something is left over for the other hosts.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 21:22:26 by JdeFalconr »

Pages: [1]