News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Comcast's Dual-Stack setup  (Read 3448 times)
« on: February 09, 2011, 15:53:38 »
wiz561 *

Hi,

I'm attempting to get some help on how to configure m0n0wall for use in a dual-stack environment.  I'm not a ipv6 comcast tester, but my setup pretty much mirrors what comcast is doing.

It sounds like they are giving customers/tests a /64 ipv6 address space, and you can do whatever you want with it.  Basically, that is what my ISP has done.

I've attempted to get this configured, but it seems like it doesn't want to work.  I can get everything working fine on the outside facing box, but nothing works internally. 

Many of the tutorials out there are for tunneling to a provider, such as sixxs or hurricane electric.  Are there any tutorials on how to implement ipv6 natively in a dual-stack (ipv4 + ipv6) environment?

I've also posted this in the pfsense forums since I'm running it.  But if I can do it easier with m0n0wall, I might just switch.  Plus, it looks like m0n0wall has more topics running in the ipv6 forums, so I'm thinking it might be better supported here.

Thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 17:14:22 »
iridris ***

I'm not familiar with how Comcast's setup works, but if you have a /64 it should be pretty simple.  Just configure the LAN with static IPv6 and put in your subnet.  You'll also probably want to use route advertisements.

What I just realized in typing this reply is what you configure for the WAN interface.  Did your ISP provide you with a separate address for this or must you take it out of the LAN subnet?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 14:47:50 »
wiz561 *

Thanks all for the information.

Just a status update.  I've been working with my ISP, who's never really done this before for anybody yet.  They've made a number of changes and assigned me two /64 blocks.

After I assigned the 64 addresses to the two interfaces, added the default route, and configured rtadvd, everything worked fine.  I'm now able to ipv6.

Thanks again for the help.  I think the problem was part with me and part with my ISP.

Pages: [1]