News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: include my own config.xml with workon.sh but...  (Read 20616 times)
« on: May 12, 2007, 23:19:48 »
YvesDM *

Hi,
I'm trying to include my own config.xml in a custom 1.23 image with workon.sh on a FreeBSD 6.2 machine. Huh
When I write my image to a CF card and install the card on a system, it always seems to have the default config, and not "my" config.xml. I don't quite understand this as I deleted the default one and put mine into place. (in /conf.default of the M0n0wall root) When I look at the config.xml before I repack the image, my changes are definately there.
As a test I also changed some images and the rc.banner file in my custom image and those changes are
perfectly included in the new created image. Only the config.xml doesn't seem to do it, all configuration settings are default.

Am I overlooking something? All help is greatly appreciated.

Many tnx
Yves
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:34:00 by YvesDM »
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 22:18:38 »
YvesDM *

I still can't find a decent solution to this.
I tried to include my config.xml in the /cf/conf/ dir of my image, but still no luck.
The initial config loaded at startup with a fresh written image is still the default one.
When I hit "reset to default" in the CLI it does load "my" config.xml though, as it takes the one from conf.default then,
but I would like to have it right in place at the first boot. (so I don't have to configure the interfaces everytime)
Anyone can help me out here?

Many tnx
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:05:00 »
cmb *****

It should be /conf/config.xml I believe. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 05:06:13 »
YvesDM *

It should be /conf/config.xml I believe. If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Thanks for your answer Chris.
But in the m0n0wall root /conf is a symlink to /cf/conf, so it should work with config.xml in /cf/conf, but it doesn't.
I guess I'm overlooking something, but I don't know what.

Kind regards,
Yves
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:27:37 »
cmb *****

Yeah I'm trying the same thing right now, with the same result. Did you ever come up with a way to do this? If I come up with something I'll post back here.
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 10:09:22 »
YvesDM *

Yeah I'm trying the same thing right now, with the same result. Did you ever come up with a way to do this? If I come up with something I'll post back here.

Hi Chris,
No, i never found the solution for this. But honestly, I didn't search that long anymore.

I include my config.xml in /conf.default and repack the image.
I found out that after the initial boot hitting 4 "restore default settings" on the console loaded "my" config.xml.
So what I do now is just write my custom image to a CF card, add that CF into a new system, boot from it, hit 4
and after a reboot my config is there :-) It's not really how I wanted it to be, but I can live with it.

PS I also changed the script which resets the default passwd and included my own passwd in it.
This way I don't have to disable the console menu anymore, if someone ever connects a monitor/keyboard
they can hit whatever they want, it won't change a single setting ;-)

Kind Regards,

Yves
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 07:41:34 »
cmb *****

Yeah I just ended up replacing the default config with my custom config as well, then reset to defaults once it was up and running.
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 11:47:32 »
YvesDM *

Yeah I just ended up replacing the default config with my custom config as well, then reset to defaults once it was up and running.

This keeps playing on my mind.
Where does it get that default config at initial boot?  Huh
It has to be there somewhere...  Shocked

Kind regards
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 09:54:30 »
ar2000jp *

I tried this before, here's how it's done.
Put your config.xml in /conf.default in your mfsroot image, so that when you reset to default, your settings come up, and put it in /conf on your cf card image, so that you get the from the first boot.

Remember, put it on /conf.default in mfsroot, and /conf in cf image.
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 22:51:27 »
momothefox *

This keeps playing on my mind.
Where does it get that default config at initial boot?  Huh
It has to be there somewhere...  Shocked

it is there in mnt1 not mnt2.
mnt1/config/config.xml   <!-- m0n0wall default system configuration -->

Mohammed Ismail

Pages: [1]