News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Soekris net4501 and monowall 1.33  (Read 3417 times)
« on: February 22, 2011, 14:24:55 »
kgb10a8 *

Hi!
the problem is how to configure a CF card or net4501 bios

******************'
Now i'm back at the beginning after a half days work.Fortunately i made a backup of the configuration before i started.
This was the warning on monowall's site

* WARNING: this version (any platform) no longer fits on 8 MB CF cards! (>= 16 MB required)

The problem is that monowall is now bigger than 8Mb. I thought that would be no problem because the Sandisk CF has a capacity of 128Mb. First I tried to install the new version directly form Monowall, But after 15 minutes i figured out that something was wrong.

Then I tired to format the card again as FAT, and used suggested program to write the ISO image to disk. This could not load monowall at all. Next was to format as FAT32, then on console I could see that the program was almost functioning but the data inputted from console did not go to the configuration file.

At last i had to go back and install an older and smaller version of monowall, this does function on the card formatted as FAT32, but windows XP tells it's size is just 24MB.

But of course i would be interested to update in the future to the newest version of monowall. Now I'm in no hurry to do this. Please could anyone help me (the soekrist manual was not exactly helpful)

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 15:44:18 »
Fred Grayson *****

There is no point in partitioning and formatting CF cards prior to use with m0nowall. All the required format and boot track information is within the image itself and carried onto the CF card when written with the suggested tools. And no the resulting file system is not FAT or FAT 32, it's UFS.

In place uploads of the firmware image can fail if there is not enough system RAM available. Here, 64MB is inadequate to successfully upload firmware, even though mon0wall, as I use it, will run within that much RAM. I have never had more than 128MB here, and it's likely that more is useless with stock images, but won't hurt anything.

How much RAM do you have there?

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.

Pages: [1]