News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Gatekeeper  (Read 2280 times)
« on: March 02, 2011, 21:28:15 »
Tgellan *

Hello,

I do have a small website running on my server which I'd like to protect using a Gatekeeper. Now I checked all the docs on m0n0wall, but apart from the captive portal, I didn't find anything, so I guess it isn't in...

Thus my request, could the CP be extended to WAN->LAN in order to allow m0n0wall to work as a Gatekeeper to password protect the internal network?

Thanks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:48 »
Tgellan *

Anyone?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 03:25:06 »
iridris ***

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for, but when you say "password protect the internal network", would a VPN work? If you're just trying to limit access to the website itself, can't you do that with the web server?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 03:31:45 by iridris »
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 09:57:24 »
Tgellan *

Hello,
I did some research on my own, how to implement such a functionality. My initial idea was to use something similar to the captive portal, but from the outside to the inside. So that you may just create a user/password couple and hand that out to whomever. By that the internal network would only be accessible by persons who do have access.
Now what I did find, is that I'm actually looking in functions found at secure reverse proxies. Alas I do fear that this is too much to be asked from m0n0wall, as it never claimed to be a (reverse-) proxy.

Thanks for your time
T'Gellan
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 19:24:16 »
Јаневски ***

It is possible by adding a proxy.
Primary that would add memory + CPU load.
Secondary the risk of failure would be greater, also the attack surface would become broader too.

Pages: [1]