News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Users aren't getting redirected to the Captive Portal page [SOLVED]  (Read 3198 times)
« on: March 09, 2011, 20:39:01 »
ounelly70 *

Hello all!

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get captive portal to work, everything seems to be setup correctly.

The m0n0wall is handling DHCP.

When I connect to the network and try to hit any website, with firefox, IE, chrome, (any browser really) the browser just hangs until I eventually get a "page unavailable" error.  When I run an ipconfig, it shows that I have a valid IP address, subnet, and gateway.

If I type in the address of the m0n0wall followed by port 8000, I get the portal page.  It's not redirecting traffic to the portal page automatically.  Once I click continue, all browsing is fine.  

I've tried this with multiple computers and browsers and all of them have the same outcome.  

Any help is greatly appreciated
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 15:14:43 by ounelly70 »
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 15:14:26 »
ounelly70 *

I found my issue, I tried just hitting websites by their ip addresses and the captive portal was working fine.  This led me to a setting in m0n0wall to 'enable DNS forwarder' as we have another box that handles DNS.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:10:52 »
seborin *

I found my issue, I tried just hitting websites by their ip addresses and the captive portal was working fine.  This led me to a setting in m0n0wall to 'enable DNS forwarder' as we have another box that handles DNS.

this happened to me few times with mac laptops. I had to type myself the monowall:8000 page.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 18:57:38 »
frank *

In most cases, the DNS entry for the client is static.
Switch to obtain DNS automatically. You get the mono as DNS an it will work .
Frank

Pages: [1]