News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Cisco - Linksys WRT160NL  (Read 3213 times)
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:28:16 »
Oceanwatcher *

I have done a bit of searching and can only fins some old posts about some Linksys hardware. Obviously, M0n0wall can not run on the older Linksys stuff, but Linksys uses different processors in their hardware and they come with different amounts of flash mem and ram.

WRT160NL is specifically made to take advantage of open source firmware. I runs on an Atheros AR9130 rev 2 (0xb8)  (400 mHz) and has 8MB flash mem and 32MB RAM. You can see some other stuff about the processor here:

http://wiki.freebsd.org/AtherosMIPS

Providing FreeBSD is able to run on it, I would absolutely LOVE to see a version of M0n0wall running on Linksys WRT160NL. It would be a fantastic firewall and router for the home and SMB market, especially with the IPv6 features.

I am running DD-WRT today, but I have not seen any news about new versions or development since I installed it. It is stable, but all IPv6 stuff has to be done from CLI. Also, I have a little more faith in FreeBSD on the network side :-)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:54:44 »
Fred Grayson *****

I am not a m0n0wall developer, so I can't say what is actually possible.

But from the specs that you published, none of the current m0n0wall images will load into an 8MB Flash. It's been quite a while since m0n0wall was small enough to fit there.

The 32MB of RAM is also very problematic. There may be some very basic configurations of m0n0wall that will run inside of such little RAM, but it is also documented that uploading the image during an upgrade will fail, and in some cases 64MB is not enough.

Even if the WRT160NL could be upgraded to whatever is needed to support m0n0wall, the cost of this added to its base price puts it alongside much more capable ALIX hardware that easily runs m0n0wall and the much more demanding pfSense.

Also, m0n0wall runs on x86-CPUs, not MIPS.

I'm sure some of the developers can add some to this.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:19:32 by fredg »

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.

Pages: [1]