News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: VIA Epia V, 800MHz, 256MB RAM, CF and 100Mbit WAN: very slow  (Read 2910 times)
« on: March 18, 2011, 08:01:44 »
Romax *

Hi!
I'm trying to use m0n0wall as a home router.
The machine is VIA Epia V with 800MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, m0n0wall is installed on a CF IDE card. The m0n0wall router is connected to a D-Link DIR-655 device, which is used a Wireless Access Point and a switch.
The configuration went well, I got both internet and LAN access (my ISP uses DualAccess in it's network so I used this mod - http://code.google.com/p/m0n0wall-mod/ ).
But when I ran speedtest.net it gave me only ~6Mbits of internet speed. When I connected my PC directly to ISP cable, speedtest.net gave me at least 76Mbit of internet.
Then I tried to watch some tv using the LAN network, I got a video stuttering almost every minute, so I figured the LAN was also very slow.

Is my router hardware insufficient (or maybe something wrong with it) or there are some things I need to check in the configuration?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:24:24 by Romax »

Standing for Truth. Standing for Justice. Standing around.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 14:32:51 »
iridris ***

Your hardware seems to me to be sufficient, but I'm not used to WAN connections that high.

As for video stuttering - are you watching video over wifi? Unless you're very close to the Wireless AP, wifi is usually not stable enough to sustain streaming video (from my experience at least).
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 14:37:38 »
Romax *

As for video stuttering - are you watching video over wifi? Unless you're very close to the Wireless AP, wifi is usually not stable enough to sustain streaming video (from my experience at least).
Yes, over wi-fi, but when I used DIR-655 as a router, everything with the tv streams was just fine.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 14:44:17 by Romax »

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 16:08:59 »
Romax *

Well, I tried to use a different machine, a more powerful one, AMD Athlon 2500+, 2GB RAM.
The speedtest showed like a 20Mbits of internet, better, but still not my speed. So I think m0n0wall can't handle high speeds very well.

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 17:04:57 »
Јаневски ***

Well, I tried to use a different machine, a more powerful one, AMD Athlon 2500+, 2GB RAM.
The speedtest showed like a 20Mbits of internet, better, but still not my speed. So I think m0n0wall can't handle high speeds very well.

Nope.
m0n0 can handle a lot.

The hardware resources are important in the router overall performance.
The VIA Epia configuration seems okay to me.

However could You check the CPU and RAM usage by using a non modified latest version of m0n0?
Do two checks one with no load at all and one with as much traffic as possible.

Pages: [1]