News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: qualysguard Intranet Scanner appliance  (Read 4138 times)
« on: July 27, 2011, 03:46:02 »
t4thfavor *

I have become the proud owner of one "QualysGuard Intranet Scanner".

Specs:
Rackmount
Intel PIII
Dual On-board intel 10/100 NICS
1xLPT
2xSerial
1xPCI W/Dual Intel Gigabit adaptor
512MB PC133 ram
20GB 2.5" HDD.
CrystalFontz CF-779 2x16LCD W/DPad, and Enter button.

Completely Brand new (from '03)

I have M0n0 embedded 1.33 installed to the HDD.

When connecting to the serial console, all I get is gibberish with 96008n1 no flow control (I have tried all types of settings from 300-115200)

There is no VGA on this unit, so I cannot see what the bios is set to for the com ports.

Does anyone know how to get into the bios (short of finding a PCI graphics card) , or am I missing some step that would allow my serial console to work correctly?

If the bios needs to match the M0n0, is there some way I can modify the image to match the bios(hit or miss of course)...

Thanks,

Chance
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:57:04 »
Fred Grayson *****

I had a similar problem with some other hardware. I don't think the embedded image is the correct one to use.

You may want to try some of the other images:

generic-pc-serial-1.33.img

generic-pc-1.33.img

Or perhaps you might try:

generic-pc-serial-1.8.0b476.img

from the new 1.8 snapshot section.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:14:35 »
t4thfavor *

Thanks, I'll try the Generic PC serial, and post back.

EDIT:

No Dice with the Generig-PC-Serial_1.33.img

Same problem.

Anybody got any ideas how someone would access the bios on this box?

The gibberish looks like this @ 96008n1in minicom.
����������������������������������
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:45:03 by t4thfavor »
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:05:43 »
Fred Grayson *****

You should next try generic-pc-1.33.img. And I'll tell you why.

My experience with my GB-1000 hardware, a 1U box with no keyboard, no video was very non-intuitive. This box does have a serial console which works when running the original GB-1000 software.

The obvious choice of image to try was generic-pc-serial. But this didn't provide a serial console no matter what settings I tried.

What I did next was to use generic-pc that I was able to minimally configure on another machine and then boot the GB-1000 with that and finish the configuration via the web GUI. I just gave up on ever getting the serial console working with m0n0 even though it did work with the original GB-1000 software.

Later, something told me to try connecting the serial cable to the box with the otherwise working generic-pc image, and bingo it worked.

In summary, the logical to try serial console image did not work and the non-intuitive pc image did.

To really confuse everyone, the new 1.8 images have this all reversed. The pc-serial image now provides the console, and the pc image does not.

So, for the sake of completeness, please try generic-pc-1.33.img and then generic-pc-serial-1.8.0b476.img.

I have no ideas about how to get into the BIOS. My GB-1000 is the same story. It has a PCI card slot and a USB port. What I would try with it would be to plug in a video card and USB keyboard (which I don't have) and see what appears on the monitor as it boots. I haven't needed to try this here so it's a guess. There is no documentation for this hardware either.

Since you know the NICs are Intel, perhaps you can put the HDD into another machine that has keyboard and video and two supported NICS. If it boots all the way to the setup screen you can assign interfaces, and specify the LAN IP. Next, reboot it and download the configuration file and edit it to change the interfaces to Intel (fxp0 and fxp1 are what I have here). Then upload the edited configuration file back into the running system. It will reboot, but to an invalid configuration since the NICs were changed. Shut it down and put the drive in the QualysGuard box and see if it will boot and become reachable via the LAN port and GUI interface.

Good luck.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 06:05:46 »
t4thfavor *

Also no dice. I am going to scrounge up a PCI vga card tomorrow.

I am currently trying to boot the pfsense memstick image, I will make sure I update the thread in case anyone else cares.

Thanks,
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 18:34:57 »
t4thfavor *

Yeah, I know it's been a year...

I had to change a bios setting on the IDE controller to LBA instead of whatever else it was set to, then any of those images booted properly.

Thanks to Google for reminding me of my old posts....
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 23:38:43 »
matguy *

Thanks for the update, connecting orphaned posts with their OP is a wonderful thing.

http://xkcd.com/979/

Pages: [1]