News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: PPTP, L2TP & SSTP WAN As Client.  (Read 2833 times)
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:50:46 »
PhoenixOrion *

More and More people are using vpn services for extra security from the government/ fusion centers non warranted spying on every americans internet habbits and for protection against lawsuits should they accidently download a copyrighted movie or music and for people over sea's trying to watch hulu or youtube, netflix and so on and people in china saudi arabia and many many others countries that are censored from the internet that need to use vpn to access the majority of the internet. Can m0n0wall please support these vpn protocols as client on the Wan interface. For people that use these services. L2TP would be preferable or SSTP since they are less likely to be blocked and speed capped by ISP's. I am currently using the m0n0wall mod for the pptp part but would like to see L2TP or SSTP. I get over 30Mbs download speed while connected through my VPN service provider. No other firewall software supports this natively. I know a lot of people say just use Open Vpn well. I can tell you open vpn sucks. You can not get much more than 10Mbs down even with encryption off it is limited by its virtual device that is stuck at 10Mbs link speed. Can anyone here with open vpn go to speedtest.net and get 36Mbs down speed. Well I can with pptp, l2tp and sstp but not open vpn it sucks. See here if you don't believe me. https://forums.openvpn.net/topic7999.html
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:11:57 »
iridris ***

m0n0wall does support PTPP, as well as IPSEC. As for the throughput, I'm not sure as I don't have a very fast connection (15Mb down, 0.75Mb up).
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:17 »
PhoenixOrion *

Yes it has PPTP but it will not work on router as client for a paid vpn service it says so right in the m0n0wall handbook I have read the whole thing. But still have alot to learn new to m0n0wall.

Pages: [1]