News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: [SOLVED] No success: update to 1.8b from Embedded 1.33  (Read 4256 times)
« on: August 25, 2011, 14:04:48 »
maybeapreacher *

Hi there,

thank you for a very good firewall project :-)

I just got hold of an Axis board (Geode LX) and thought it would perfectly fit for my new router.

Installed 1.33 embedded and wanted to upgrade to 1.8b 477.

My steps:
- enable firmware upload
- umount and mount the volume with 16m according to what the beta-page says.
- clicking "Ugrade firmware"

I get the following message:
Code:
The uploaded image file is not for this platform (embedded).

Since there is no embedded image anymore, how should I proceed?
Just backup the config, install the beta manually (extract image to hard disk) or is there another way?

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 14:53:48 by maybeapreacher »
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 16:49:12 »
Fred Grayson *****

Try this if you haven't yet.

Download generic-pc-serial-1.8.0b477.img and rename it to embedded-1.8.0b477.img

Then proceed like you have already tried.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 17:13:49 »
maybeapreacher *

that did the trick, thanks a lot!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 18:01:55 »
Fred Grayson *****

You're welcome.

Upgrading to future versions will not require renaming to embedded-

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 18:56:32 »
Daniel Kulesz *

Hi there,

just wanted to let you know that I had major issues with the Upgrade from 1.33 to embedded-1.8.0b477.img and downgraded back to 1.33. I really love m0n0, but this move was a really bad experience.

1.) The "Beta" page said to exec those steps, but unfortunately the umount step is only working after you enable firmware upgrade first. This is not mentioned anywhere.
2.) The problem described in this thread. Also, when trying to downgrade the firmware the same problems occurs (I had to rename the embedded to generic-pc-serial...).
3.) After the upgrade, the WAN connection was established successfully, but neither LAN, OPT1 nor WLAN could access the internet. The rules seemed to be fine and DNS resolution was working well, also PING from the m0nßwall GUI was working nicely - but no internet access from any network.

Because I did not make a backup of 1.33 (my fault of course) I had to download it superslowly over WWAN to bring my internet connection back to life. I know this is a developer nightly build, but I had suspected some minor issues.

Cheers
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 16:52:08 »
iridris ***

1. The beta page DOES say that you must enable the firmware upgrade first:
You can work around this by running the following commands via /exec.php after you've clicked the "Enable firmware upload" button:

3. This was probably because the drivers changed. M0n0wall 1.8 is based on FreeBSD 8.2, which has many new drivers. Did you re-assign the interfaces to the proper ports after upgrading? Also, the way Wifi is set up in 1.8 has changed - you now have to define the settings under the interface.

Pages: [1]