News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: NTP  (Read 1987 times)
NTP
« on: October 06, 2011, 14:05:11 »
abalzi *

Hi

To restrict restrict NTP traffic to the outside, is not possible to activate an NTP daemon on m0n0wall?
The firewall is synchronized via NTP Internet, The LAN systems in synch with m0n0wall.

Regards,
Andrea
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 15:12:22 »
Fred Grayson *****

An NTP daemon is not likely to ever be added to m0n0wall. See section 1.2 of the Handbook.

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook-single/#id11553347

Having said that, if you had to have this capability in m0n0wall it could probably be added in if you are willing to build your own custom image yourself, find someone to do this for you, or discover one already out there.

And there is always pfsense, a fork of m0n0wall that is quite extensible and already has an NTP daemon in its feature list.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 09:42:04 »
mheartwood *

I'll also add that any daemons that a person wants running that affect the LAN side, can be easily served by dedicated server. It's another box, yes, but it doesn't need to be a big box.

At home, I use an ALIX running m0n0wall as my gateway, and another ALIX running Linux as my home micro-server. The home server has an NTP client to keep itself updated, and an NTP server to keep the rest of the household updated. (I have 27 networked devices so setting up a micro-server made sense.)

Pages: [1]