News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Can I use IPSec and PPTP servers concurrently?  (Read 3246 times)
« on: October 07, 2011, 19:40:06 »
TomD *

Hello all.

I'm setting up IPSec for mobile users.  I'm using the Shrewsoft client.  I'm able to connect to the WAN interface IP address and build the tunnel (connect successfully) using a PC connected to my monowall LAN interface network.  I get the "negotiation timeout occurred" message when attempting to connect to the WAN interface IP address from the internet.   I do use the Monowall PPTP server also as I have users connecting from the internet via PPTP.

My question is:

Can you use IPSec and PPTP server concurrently on one Monowall at the same time?  Does the Monowall PPTP server prevent connection to the IPsec server on the WAN interface?  If the answers to those two questions is "NO", then what is the problem?

Tom D.

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 16:06:15 »
iridris ***

It is possible to use both IPSec and PPTP.  I have an IPSec VPN between two m0n0walls, and also use PPTP to connect mobile clients.

I'm guessing your errors are just a configuration issue. From my experience IPsec is pretty finicky.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 16:36:24 »
TomD *

Thank you for the reply.

I found my problem.  I'm using the Shrewsoft VPN client.  I was attempting to connect with a Windows 7 machine over wireless.  Their latest beta release fixes this reported problem.  I installed that release and everything is working now. 

Pages: [1]