News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Preventing Split Tunnelling?  (Read 2201 times)
« on: May 23, 2007, 00:01:29 »
kezef *

I have "successfully" created a PPTP connection for my workplace. Once the connection is established, I can do an ipconfig  and see the correct PPP/SLIP details.

My problem occurs when I try to access a website - the traffic appears to go via my Internet connection *NOT* the VPN tunnel. To confirm, I performed a traceroute to www.google.com and the next hop is my home ADSL router, not the VPN gateway.  Huh

I have checked the TCP/IP configuration setting on my XP PPTP client to ensure that 'use remote gateway' is enabled.

Am I missing something? Ideally I would like *all* traffic (even Internet browsing) from a user to go via the VPN gateway once the connection is established.

Thanks,
kez.

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2007, 00:49:42 »
bretticus *

I'm going to be staying in a hotel and I was wondering the same thing. Most of the time I like split tunneling but not on an unsecured wireless access point. What you CAN do, and this is a hack, is to just use the route command and set your default route to the current pptp gateway (you can do a "route print" when connected to see it probably.)

route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 192.168.12.1

That basically tells windows to use 192.168.12.1 as the default gateway where 192.168.12.1 is your pptp gateway. Of course you'll want to change it back when you are not using the PPTP. You might even setup a bat file to do this and then evoke the VPN Network Connection. I use Ubuntu exclusively now so I don't know exactly how to, nor if that is even possible. 

Anybody have a better recommendation?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 19:10:10 »
HairyMonster *

Tick the Use Default Gateway On Remote Network box in the Advanced section of the TCP/IP settings.

But the route add/route del method from a batch file is probably easier.

However, you'll need admin rights to do either.

HM.

Pages: [1]