News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: [SNMP] Bandwidth monitoring with ipMonitor  (Read 2788 times)
« on: November 24, 2011, 00:07:12 »
Hal *

I've been trying to get Solarwinds ipMonitor to work with m0n0wall to monitor bandwidth usage on my WAN interface and log historical reports. Not sure if anyone else has tried this, but it fails to capture the stats.

After some poking around it seems that this is due to the fact that the SNMP implementation on the current m0n0wall distribution does not support the ifPhysAddress RFC1213-MIB as defined here:

http://ipmsupport.solarwinds.com/mibs/RFC1213-MIB/item.aspx?id=ifPhysAddress

ipMonitor queries for three SNMP values with its bandwidth monitor... ifInOctets, ifOutOctets, and ifPhysAddress. If any one of these is invalid then the monitor fails.

Can anyone suggest how one would go about implementing the ifPhysAddress MIB definition? or if this is supposed to be offered by ucd-snmp already then why it is not being served?

As a workaround, just getting it to return 00:00:00:00:00:00 would probably do!

Thanks!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 15:24:18 »
iridris ***

This sounds more like a bug with ipMonitor. Is there a way to configure it to ignore the ifPhysAddress field?

I've used Zenoss to collect bandwidth stats on multiple m0n0walls with no problem at all. However, Zenoss doesn't seem to pull the MAC address.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 19:53:24 »
Hal *

I haven't found a way to change the way ipMonitor works, it always seems to request the ifPhysAddress field. The other two fields respond fine with the actual statistics, which is annoying.

Pretty certain this is a problem with m0n0wall as I did a packet trace with Wireshark and watched all the SNMP requests. Every one was fine except the query for ifPhysAddress which m0n0wall does not support, yet.

Pages: [1]