News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: APC_UPSD support  (Read 1017 times)
« on: December 23, 2011, 09:08:19 »
mheartwood *

I run a small ISP, but I thought this feature might be very useful to everyone.

We use m0n0wall in a number of places throughout our network. (BTW, I think it's great.) At our repeater stations, we have UPSes (which have all been standardized to APCs simply because I knew there was opensource s/w for them). What I want is to be able to connect an USB cable from the ALIX to the UPS, so it can monitor the UPS. I'd like to have a web page in m0n0wall so I can check the battery status of the UPS.

I also want m0n0wall to to do the following when the power fails or comes on:
1) Optionally send an email to let me know the power failed or just came on.
2) Optionally perform a fetch/wget to a web server.

The optional email is easy. It should have 3 configuration fields:
1) Enable this option
2) Email address to send messages to.
3) Email address to send messages from.
The email subject headings would be "WARNING: Power failure", "WARNING: UPS fault", and "Power Restored". The internal messages could give more details (e.g. for a UPS fault, it could give us the diagnostic message. For the Power failure or power restored messages, it could give us the battery charge level at the time of the power failure/restoration.)

The optional fetch/wget would have the following boxes:
1) Enable this option
2) URL to send when power fails.
3) URL to send when power is restored.
Any other warnings, such as UPS faults, would be better handled by the email system.

My reason for wanting the first system is so that when the power fails, I get an email message, even if it's on my phone.

My reason for wanting the second system is so it can send a message to my web server which can then update the network status. Because these messages are small, they can be encapsulated in an HTTP GET.

Once I get the new FreeBSD system up and running (which could be awhile), I'll be quite willing to assist with this development.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 09:32:27 by mheartwood »

Pages: [1]