News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: NO IP Feature in captive Portal in 1.8 version  (Read 2892 times)
« on: January 23, 2012, 01:54:19 »
dr01 **

Can anyone please please tell me if there is any feature in the software that has a NO IP capability where any static IP can be set in your device and it will still pop up with the captive portal page to sign in to the network? 

Thanks, DR01
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 14:43:48 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

No, that feature does not exist at this time, and there are no plans for it either...
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 00:52:18 »
dr01 **

Manuel, is there anything I can do to help spearhead adding that feature? Since we use this software in many settings where this is needed....or do you suggest any other software that has this feature built into it?

thank you, dr01
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:05:33 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Sorry, but I don't have anything to suggest. Adding this to m0n0wall would probably require extensive FreeBSD kernel patches.

AFAIK commercial solutions with a decent implementation of this feature go one step further and isolate WLAN clients on layer 2 through some proprietary kind of tunneling between the AP and the access gateway (so you won't get IP conflicts in case two users with the same static IP are on your network etc.).
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 04:44:14 »
cmb *****

Would require a lot of work, and would probably get you sued if you did it. Nomadix is suing everybody under the sun that has the described functionality as they claim to own a patent on it.
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 09:12:55 »
dr01 **

i know am well aware, however claiming you own the patent rights to this feature is klike saying you own the patent on NAT which is totally wrong and was developed at berkley university in my studies...anyways nomadix gateways are highly overpriced and in my opinion using the user license approach is not correct in the industry.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 17:34:57 »
iridris ***

i know am well aware, however claiming you own the patent rights to this feature is klike saying you own the patent on NAT which is totally wrong and was developed at berkley university in my studies...anyways nomadix gateways are highly overpriced and in my opinion using the user license approach is not correct in the industry.

Unfortunately, that doesn't stop companies from suing.
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 18:17:50 »
brushedmoss ****

Ignoring any patent issue (haven't read it so can't comment).

This would be a large piece of work to implement.  You would have to proxy arp for a start, then deal with firewall rules to cover the addresses, and the do double Nat to address possible route issues (imagine a user gave them selves googles up and then  connected)

If you have users that can't use dhcp or deal with using a monowall assigned address, you will probably have users who have proxies set too which is another set of problems to even give them a portal page !

I, for one , have little time these days to code, and wouldn't prioritise this feature request at all I'm afraid.  Any spare time would be focussed on bug fixes, ipv6 , moving to FreeBSD 9 and features required by many many people.
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 19:14:35 »
dr01 **

Sounds good and thank you for the reply....i just know in the hotel industry with many transient users and the IT specs out there they require a NO IP config feature for true plug and play....

Pages: [1]