News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Wireless Driver Support urtw  (Read 2043 times)
« on: February 10, 2012, 21:03:41 »
snapo *

Hi there,
i am working with m0n0wall now a long time, and want to try to create a Wireless Access Point with captive Portal...
So i got the newest beta build and saw my Wireless Adapter dosent work (what a mess ;=) )

I saw that you use FreeBSD 8.2 for the Beta version, so it realy makes sense to add urtw because you can catch the most Wireless Adapters with it (Wireless ist still the most used scenario in Homes)

For example:
-Nearly all Alfa Link wireless adapters will work
-Netgear
-Safehome
-Shuttle
-and all other RT (Realtek) Chips ;=)

Greetings Mike
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 21:41:41 »
Fred Grayson *****

Are you sure you are configuring the adapter correctly? This has changed in the v1.8 beta.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 09:41:26 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

It looks like urtw only supports station mode (not access point), so the usefulness would be quite limited...
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 20:09:58 »
snapo *

Hi Manuel....

Thanks for the clarifications....
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2011-January/027596.html

urtw dosent support hostap mode... so it would not be useful in the future....

Do you already know what wireless N chipsets will be supported in m0n0wall 1.8b? if any?
im asking this because my wireless router has come to his end... and now i want to do everything with m0n0wall, but the realy strong limitations on wirless adapter keeps me from doing it.

The problem that i have is, i need it in USB and with an external antenna.....

i toke a look in the documentation from mono 1.3 and 1.8 but dont see a list of real supported chipsets....  only vendors ;-(
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 21:36:45 »
Manuel Kasper
Administrator

Do you already know what wireless N chipsets will be supported in m0n0wall 1.8b? if any?

None as far as I know. Support for some 11n Atheros chipsets has been added in FreeBSD 9.0, but we need to finish a 1.8 release (based on stable FreeBSD 8.2) before we can even think about moving to FreeBSD 9 Wink

Pages: [1]