News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Intel 82550 Dual NIC  (Read 4260 times)
« on: June 18, 2012, 14:27:52 »
njkreger *

Hi, I'm running m0n0wall on an Intel Atom D510MO box, and I didn't want to use the Realtek that comes integrated on it, so I found a used Intel Pro/100 S Dual Port Adapter (82550) to use for WAN and LAN.

Now, I had this card working before with pfSense, but I remember for some reason it didn't work right off the bat. Now that I'm working with m0n0wall, I can't get it to work. m0n0wall recognizes it, let's me assign the interfaces to WAN and LAN, but when I actually plug the LAN interface in, it's not serving up DHCP and I can't connect to it. I can ping it, but I can't connect. If I reassign the LAN interface to the Realtek, it works.

Any ideas on how to get this working?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 14:42:41 »
Fred Grayson *****

Well, you don't say which version of m0n0 you are using or which network driver is being used by m0n0 for the card.

Having said that, it has been my experience with the m0n0 1.8b series and the fxp driver, that with certain revisions of certain Intel NICs, there is a problem when hardware checksumming is enabled. m0no determine which cards to enable this for and gets it wrong.

The symptoms the user sees is that TCP routing across interfaces is broken, but ICMP does work - ie ping works but you can't browse out on the internet.

In my case this is easily solvable. Easily because I can reach the m0n0 WebGUI. Solvable because I can enter a command to disable checksumming and also enter the command into the configuration file so that the change survives reboot.

If you can't reach the WebGui then you can use the working NIC long enough to be able to make the necessary adjustments.

So, please elaborate a bit further with what version of m0n0 you are running, if the fxp driver is the one in use for the Intel NICs, and whether or not you can reach the m0n0wall WebGUI.

If you fall into the same case as I am, I can guide you thru the solution.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 15:07:51 »
njkreger *

Fred,

Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it. I'm using version 1.33, but can install a different version if necessary. As for the actual driver itself, I have no idea. I just wrote the generic image to the card in the D510MO and booted it up.

If I reassign the interfaces and use the Realtek for the LAN, I can access the webgui no problem.

Let me know what I need to do and I'll work on getting you the necessary info.

Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 15:29:24 »
Fred Grayson *****

The interfaces are identified by the driver and number. For example, fxp0, fxp1, re0, re1, rl0, rl1, em0, em1.......

These are shown on the console output under Port configuration: and in the WebGUI on this page if you can get to it: Interfaces: Assign network port.

Which drivers are being used there (when things are not working) and can you or can you not get into m0n0 WebGUI?

--
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 15:32:33 »
njkreger *

fxp0 and fxp1 are used for the dual nic, and yes, I can get to the webgui only when I assign the Realtek to the LAN.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 15:56:39 »
Fred Grayson *****

In the WebGUI, go to Diagnostics: Backup/restore and download the configuration file.

Using a text editor, open the configuration file and navigate to the end of the <system> section.

Within this section add the two following lines just above the </system> line:

<shellcmd>ifconfig fxp0 -rxcsum</shellcmd>
<shellcmd>ifconfig fxp1 -rxcsum</shellcmd>
</system>

Save the file.

Go back to Diagnostics: Backup/restore and this time restore configuration using the just edited file. The system will reboot.

Once rebooted, reconfigure to use fxp0 and fxp1 but not the RealTek NIC.

One more reboot and it hopefully it all works. If so, it's possible that only one of the commands was needed. Feel free to experiment to see which one you can do without.

Good luck.

--
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 20:04:02 »
njkreger *

Still a no go. If I set a static IP on my computer with the same network I can ping it, but still can't connect and still no DHCP. Any other ideas?
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 20:25:47 »
Fred Grayson *****

Try the latest beta 1.8b511.

--
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 22:10:13 »
njkreger *

Upgraded to the beta and it seems to work. After it boots up, it spits out something like this: "fxp0: Microcode loaded, int-delay: 1000 usec bundle_max 6". Is this anything I need to be worried about?
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 22:49:17 »
Fred Grayson *****

Don't worry about those, I see them too on the console.

--
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 00:36:35 »
Fred Grayson *****

OBTW, I meant to ask, does 1.8b work with the card out of the box, or did it require those commands you tried with 1.33?

--
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 14:03:24 »
njkreger *

Actually, I'm not sure. I just did an update to 1.8, and the config file still has those commands. Once I actually hook it up to the network I'll have easier access and will remove those commands.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 14:12:06 »
Fred Grayson *****

Please try removing them. If it turns out they are required, the developers would want to know that so that they can patch the driver to not require them.

--
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 17:05:51 »
njkreger *

Fred, I removed the commands and it still seems to be working fine. Thank you so much for your help. As an apparent newb, I really, really appreciate it.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 17:10:52 »
Fred Grayson *****

Glad it's all sorted out for you. Welcome to m0n0wall.

--

Pages: [1]