News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: 1.8.1b529 minor gui issue  (Read 2530 times)
« on: November 12, 2012, 18:03:52 »
azdps **

m0n0wall build 1.8.1b529

Issue:
The warning "The changes have been saved. You must reboot your firewall for changes to take effect" will appear although no changes were made.

How to reproduce issue:
- Click on LAN under Interfaces
- Select the Secondary IPs tab
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 18:05:48 by azdps »
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 18:12:07 »
Fred Grayson *****

I can not reproduce your result when I perform the same two steps you indicate.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 18:24:46 »
azdps **

Okay my steps were obviously wrong. Try this.

How to reproduce issue:
- Click on Advanced under System
- Make no changes but click save under Spoof checking

The warning "The changes have been saved. You must reboot your firewall for changes to take effect" will appear up top like it should.

- Click on the Secondary IPs tab

The warning "The changes have been saved. You must reboot your firewall for changes to take effect" will appear up top but I don't think it should. Shouldn't this warning only appear on the page where the actual change was made  or where I clicked on save?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 18:43:28 by azdps »
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 18:54:15 »
azdps **

I thought it would be better to just separate my additional question.

It seems there's no check to verify that there were any actual changes made. By default, a warning will appear up top to reboot the firewall when no actual changes have been made but the save button has been pressed. Would this be a difficult check to implement?
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 19:07:01 »
Fred Grayson *****

Okay my steps were obviously wrong. Try this.

How to reproduce issue:
- Make no changes but click save under Spoof checking

The warning "The changes have been saved. You must reboot your firewall for changes to take effect" will appear up top like it should.

Sorry, but I can not reproduce what you are seeing when I do as above. I see a "The changes have been applied successfully" but no message mentioning a reboot is required.

The warning "The changes have been saved. You must reboot your firewall for changes to take effect" will appear up top but I don't think it should. Shouldn't this warning only appear on the page where the actual change was made  or where I clicked on save?

Same as before. I do not see a message mentioning a reboot is required.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 19:28:33 »
azdps **

I figured out why I'm receiving the reboot warning when you are just receiving the changes were successfully applied warning. I had previous changes to the Advanced setup page. I had both "Keep diagnostics in navigation expanded" and "Use device polling" checked. With those settings already saved and the m0n0wall rebooted, I get the reboot required when I select the save button below Spoof Checking, even though I make no changes. Having a different setting other than the default m0n0wall settings under Advanced setup causes the reboot warning to appear after a save. Try that Fred, and see what I'm talking about. Then proceed through the rest of the steps.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 19:31:56 by azdps »
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 20:37:24 »
azdps **

The ultimate instructions to reproduce this issue. Will work this time I promise!  Grin:

- Check the box for both Navigation and Device polling
- Click save (it will say changes have successfully been applied at the top)
- Reboot firewall (you must do this)
- After rebooting click on Advanced under System
- Click on save without making any changes (it will say reboot required up top)
- Don't reboot yet

At the top it will show reboot is required. I don't think the reboot warning should be showing on that page. Also why is a reboot required on the Advanced setup page all of a sudden?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 20:39:50 by azdps »
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 19:15:19 »
Lennart Grahl ***

If you change something on a page that requires a reboot, m0n0wall will keep that in mind until you actually do the reboot.
But not every page will check for this possibility and therefore it could be interpreted as odd behaviour that occurs on some of m0n0walls pages.

Personally, I think the warning should be on every page.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 03:53:34 »
azdps **

Using the ultimate instructions I listed you will see odd behavior on how the webgui responds to changes or no changes at all. If the advanced setup page has all default settings and you make a change such as selecting Device Polling and you click save, the top will show a message that the new settings have been applied. A reboot warning message will not appear.  If you reboot though and go back to the advanced setup page and click on save without changing anything (device polling should already be selected), a reboot warning message will appear at top. So why all of a sudden is a reboot required? And why is the Secondary IPs tab page the only other page that I have noticed that shows a reboot is required as well? Another strange thing is that if you navigate away from the Advanced Setup page and then return without rebooting the reboot warning message if no longer there. No if you navigate to the Secondary IPs tab the reboot warning will appear and will remain even if you navigate away from it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 04:07:05 by azdps »
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 12:34:46 »
Lennart Grahl ***

I've located the problem and fixed it in r530.

However, if a 'reboot required' event will be fired up, the 'Secondary IPs' tab page will show that a reboot is required.
As stated before, I think this should be on every page to remind the user that he hasn't done a reboot, yet. For now it's a special behaviour on the 'Secondary IPs' tab page.
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 18:24:36 »
azdps **

Thanks for tracking that down. For a second there I was thinking it was just me. I agree with you that the warning should appear on each page until a reboot has occurred. This is basically a cosmetic issue, except if a reboot is actually required. I think fixing minor issues in the gui helps with making m0n0wall and even more polished firewall than it already is.

Pages: [1]