News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Using m0n0wall for captive portal!PLEASE HELP!Thank you.  (Read 3982 times)
« on: January 27, 2013, 15:10:18 »
thanos12 *

Hello to everyone.I need some help.I want to put a wireless access point(please suggest me some cheap models if you know) into a router(via lan cable) and provide free internet into my store but I want to have a first login page (with pass or without) and after login to show my preferable home page.Is it possible to do it with m0n0wall?If yes how?

Thank you!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 17:41:26 »
tuxfux *

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook-single/#id11638549
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 08:58:10 »
thanos12 *

something....more simple.......?Someone who can help more simple and quick..at least Yes or No....?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 20:20:16 »
matguy *

Yes, that's kind of possible.

m0n0wall is a router/firewall first, captive portal is an option on top of that.  If you want it behind your current router make sure you put it on a fully different subnet (such as if your current router gives out IPs in the range of 192.168.1.x, probably put the LAN side of the Captive Portal at 192.168.100.x.)  I wouldn't make the m0n0wall device the Access Point itself, I would make it the appliance between your router and dedicated Access Point.  Or, make your new m0n0wall router your main router with a Wireless Captive Portal interface off to the side.

Hardware wise, just about any computer will run m0n0wall if you can put a second network card in it, minor exceptions aside.  Feel free to ask about machines you're considering.  If you're looking at something that looks like a small network appliance, check out the hardware tab on the front m0n0.ch page, there's some links to some known compatible hardware.

Is that what you're looking for?
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 11:45:29 »
thanos12 *

Sorry for my delay, I just want to have an access point (or router which can act like AP) which can connected to any router with dsl connection(via ethernet cable) and the people who will use my access point (in order to connect via wifi to internet) to see everytime my first home page.So after they login through my wifi access point (open auth or not).....I want the first page of their browser to be my custom url page.....after that they can access normally the web.
I draw a pic in order to explain what I need to (because I am new to this area!)

So I want someone to suggest me what B device should I buy (cheap models) in order to be able to connect it with A device and the people who use the C devices which the will connect to internet(wifi) thourgh the B device to always see at first my custom url (html page).For exaple if I connect through my iphone or laptop and open the safari or google chrome or other browser to open at first my custom web page.......(option: is it possible to open my first page if the user just open his mail programme or other software wich needs internet?)

Please some help at least if is it possible to find a firmware and ios for this access point?and what access point should I buy....
Many Thanks

* Devices.jpg (13.9 KB, 670x468 - viewed 743 times.)
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 19:29:55 »
matguy *

Well, let's get some terminology straight.

Just because something terminates DSL in to Ethernet doesn't make it a router; it can be a router as well, but doesn't automatically make it one.  So, it sounds like you've got a DSL modem that also has routing functionality, which is your "A" device.  The "B" device you describe seems to need to be more of a standard Access Point, one that passes IP traffic transparently, but also does your captive portal login page.

While m0n0wall could possibly do basically that, it's a router first (and I'm not 100% sure you can shut off routing and make it transparent), so if you use m0n0wall as your "B" device, your "B" device becomes labeled as a router as well.  It should work that way (mind the subnets, as mentioned before), but the terminology will help.  Now, m0n0wall only supports a small set of wireless cards, so it's usually better to use a separate AP, which would be another block on your diagram.

Or, you could convert your DSL modem/router to simply be just a modem, make m0n0wall your root router with 3 ports.  1 port goes to "WAN" (DSL), one goes to LAN, and the other is for Wireless with the Captive Portal that goes to the AP (or multiple APs) of your choice.  Like I mentioned in the middle of my earlier comment.

I don't know about APs that natively do Captive Portal, so I can't help you there.  But, realize that you've been given information that, by all appearances on our side, should work.  It may be slightly complex, but sometimes that's the nature of free software that runs on commodity hardware

Pages: [1]