News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Can I hairpin with m0n0wall?  (Read 4407 times)
« on: March 18, 2013, 15:40:22 »
wmarkel *

I host a website and the server is on my LAN.  Port 80 is forwarded to it from the WAN.  It is important to me to be able to access my website using its URL.  I recently got a bump in speed on my internet connection and my old router/firewall isn't fast enough.  I replaced it with another unit that worked well except I could not get at my site internally, it would not hairpin.  I thought I would ask before replacing it with a m0n0wall only to be disappointed again.

TIA, WM
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 16:16:23 »
Fred Grayson *****

If by "hairpin" you mean NAT reflection, then no, m0n0wall does not support that.

If you must be able to access a server behind m0n0wall by its WAN address (or a host name hat resolves to the WAN address), then you can work around the problem by enabling the DNS forwarder in m0n0wall, and add the host and domain name with its private LAN IP address in the override table.

The LAN machines you wish this to work on must then use m0n0wall's LAN interface IP address for DNS server, and you will need to specify working forwarders or allow them to be assigned by DHCP/PPP on the WAN in System: General setup.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 21:39:18 »
wmarkel *

Thanks a LOT!  I added one for the domain with no host and one with a "*" for the host to cover www, mail, or whatever else.  Worked GREAT!

A side note: A Gigabyte GA-C847N-D, with a SanDisk Cruzer Fit flash drive, in a ARK ITX/CS-Ci02 Case work great if you want dual gigabit Ethernet at a reasonable price.  (But you must use beta version.)

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 21:41:23 by wmarkel »

Pages: [1]