News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: State of Dynamic DNS  (Read 5824 times)
« on: May 30, 2013, 19:29:49 »
iridris ***

I've been using DynDNS for years as my DynamicDNS provider. Recently, they've taken another step towards eliminating free users (you have to log in every 30 days, not just update your IP). I also believe they no longer accept new free accounts.

This prompted me to look into the other providers that m0n0wall supports, and this is what I've found. Currently, none of the providers that m0n0wall supports are free. Some are pretty cheap, but they've all added some sort of fee to their services. There are other providers out there that are free, but m0n0wall doesn't (directly) support them.

There have been a few posts throughout the years asking if 'service xyz' can be supported by m0n0wall. Most of these threads have no response. From what I can tell, m0n0wall uses a package called 'ez-ipupdate' to provide the Dynamic DNS service. This package doesn't appear to have been updated since 2002. I took a look at pfSense, and it appears to support most of the services that have been requested over the years. As best I can tell, pfSense appears to be using a PHP script to handle the Dynamic DNS service. What would it take to port this over to m0n0wall? I know m0n0wall is open and I'm always welcome to dig in and change this myself, but alas, I am not a developer and don't have the skill for this.

Summary of m0n0wall-supported providers:
Code:
Service Status
DynDNS Not Free
DHS Not Free
ODS No New Users
DyNS Not Free
HN.org No longer exists?
ZoneEdit Not Free
GNUDip Requires your own server
easyDNS Not Free
EZ-IP No longer exists?
TZO Not Free
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 21:20:41 »
Fred Grayson *****

http://dnsdynamic.org/ is still free and can be made to work with m0n0wall even though it's not directly supported. See:

http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,5651.0.html

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 22:51:39 »
Lee Sharp *****

no-ip will work with some basic configuration...

Code:
Service type DynDNS (Custom)
Hostname myipname.no-ip.org
Server no-ip.com
Port (blank)
MX (blank)
Wildcards (up to you)
Username (Your registered e-mail)
Password (duh!)
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 18:30:11 »
Fred Grayson *****

pfsense Forum user atomicrabbit has created a MS VBS script that will log in to DynDNS for you. You can schedule it to run once a month or so by pointing a scheduled task to it on a Windows machine.

http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,61485.0.html#msg339924

--
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 17:57:34 »
Piper *

as others will probably find out shortly, DyDns are ceasing the free hostnames for good in 30 days. I've moved to no-ip since i've just got extremely light requirements and don't mind logging into the physical site every 30 days.

I used Lee's config above, but needed slight modification for mine to work.. In Server config, instead of no-ip.com I had to use dynupdate.no-ip.com which got me

/usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate[307]: successful update for em0->WAN IP (myhost.no-ip.biz)

Tested before/after and the hostname seems to have successfully updated.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 21:53:53 »
Fred Grayson *****

I got that email today announcing the end on free hostnames. I had a nice script that ran out of cron that logged me in every 15 days. Maybe it can be reworked for no-ip.com.

Edit:

As suggested I used dynupdate.no-ip.com for the server, but this only successfully updated once. The server setting in m0n0wall then changed to the naked no-ip.com which does not work.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 22:09:12 by Fred Grayson »

--
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 21:23:09 »
Zapp *

Hi!

Just want to tell you that dynu.com offers a free dynamic DNS service that worked great for me. Actually so great that I decided to put my own DNS server for external requests out of it's miseries and move it all to dynu.com, for free. (I do own my own domain name)

Sadly dynamic DNS updates for dynu.com doesn't work from monowall (v1.8.1). According to available documentation GNUDip should work but I can't get it to update from monowall. An internal linux machine running ddclient (v3.8.0) with protocol dyndns2 did the trick. Dynu.com provides ddclient.conf template too.

I'm now fully detached and migrated from DynDNS and I will never ever use any of their services again.

/Jonas...
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 21:32:50 »
Fred Grayson *****

Did you try using DynDNS setting with the server specified as api.dynu.com in m0n0wall?

--
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 01:43:54 »
brushedmoss ****

Use the GNUdip option in m0n0wall and the settings listed for dynu as per their instruction 
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2014, 08:08:51 »
Zapp *

Did you try using DynDNS setting with the server specified as api.dynu.com in m0n0wall?

No I did not but have now and it works. I was missing the api.dynu.com, must have overlooked that in the Dynu documentation.

Thanks.

/Jonas...
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:15:16 »
Zapp *

Use the GNUdip option in m0n0wall and the settings listed for dynu as per their instruction 

Yes, I tried with GNUdip but never got it to work. DynDNS (custom) as per above did actually work when I used host api.dynu.com and port 8245.

The username is NOT the one you use to log into the Dynu.com Control Panel. It's the one you find IN the Control Panel under General Settings.

/Jonas...
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2014, 01:03:47 »
user1121 *

Has anyone gotten NameCheap's DDNS to update from m0n0wall?  I've been through a few settings but keep getting failure messages in my logs.

Error message in logs:
Apr 11 19:07:45   /usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate[297]: failure to update fxp1->24.125.139.128 ([subdomain])
Apr 11 19:07:45   /usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate[297]: malformed cache file: /var/db/ez-ipupdate.cache
Apr 11 19:07:45   /usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate[297]: /usr/local/bin/ez-ipupdate started for interface fxp1 host [subdomain] using server dynamicdns.park-your-domain.com and service dyndns-custom

Yes, i've replaced the subdomain I want to update with the [subdomain] placeholder in the logs Wink
I've tried a couple service options, most folks say the dyndns-custom is best for other DDNS services. 
I have the username as my namecheap domain  and the password not as my user pass but the long random DDNS pass namecheap generates.

Thanks!

Jason
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:19:17 by user1121 »

Pages: [1]