News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Limit download per client on subnet or LAN not working  (Read 3715 times)
« on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:09 »
gnjepar *

Hello,

I've set up Traffic Shaper to limit download on my 12 Mbps connection to 10 Mbps so if anyone initiates download via ftp or p2p everyone else on the subnet still has 2 Mbps left for http or any other traffic. Any PC on given subnet does not download over 10 Mbps so my rule and pipe are ok but there is a problem with that extra 2 Mbps which doesn't seem to exist any more. It seems to me like m0n0 limits total traffic on subnet to 10 Mbps instead of limiting it to 10 Mbps per PC on that subnet.

Is it possible to limit bandwidth per PC (or IP) on one specific subnet other than creating individual rules for every IP address on that subnet?

Thanks in advance!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 22:02:17 »
Lee Sharp *****

Not really sure what you are trying to do here, but if you want to limit traffic per user, you can find it built into captive portal.

And yes, if you limit your pipe to 10 meg, it limits everyone to 10 meg.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 14:12:43 »
gnjepar *

I don't want to use captive portal because I need to define users and users must log in. I simply want to limit each IP on specific subnet to some amount of bandwidth so that if someone starts downloading others can use the rest of the available bandwidth.

In my current setup (which is one 10 Mbps pipe for download applied to LAN subnet) if I initiate download that takes all of those 10 Mbps no one else can on that subnet can go use http (or any other traffic) because m0n0 doesn't give the those extra 2 Mbps. 12 Mbps is my effective speed so those extra 2 Mbps are actualy just sitting there not beeing used.

So in summary what I want is:

Limit each IP on some subnet to 10 Mbps but let total bandwidth on that subnet be 12 Mbps.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 16:48:45 »
Lee Sharp *****

And you have 2 choices...  Use Captive portal, or modify the code.

That said, you can use a custom login page so that it does not seem to need a login.  Add the IP address range as users with the same password.  Code the page to pass the users IP as username, and just hard code the password.

Alternatively, "share bandwidth evenly" actually works verry well, so you may be over thinking it.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 17:34:57 »
gnjepar *

I'm no coder so I'll use Magic Wizard with "Share bandwidth evenly on LAN" option set for a while and see if it'll do the trick.

Thank you for your time Smiley

Pages: [1]