News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: How many simultaneous L2TP / PPTP connections can m0n0 handle?  (Read 3914 times)
« on: June 06, 2007, 00:14:18 »
woleium *

I appreciate that this is a bit of a 'how long os a piece of string' question, but assuming reasonable hardware (say, P4 3200 with 1-2GB ram) could m0n0wall go up against, say a cisco VPN 3020 (http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2284/ps5480/index.html) and win? (it does about 750 IPSEC connections)

Or am i missing something important here? The cisco does LDAP integration, but m0n0 can do the same with RADIUS -> IAS -> AD

I guess load balancing / failover (for VPN access) would have to be done with clever DNS or VPN Client software

I just dont see why ppl pay $$$$$ for cisco concentrators if this is a reasonable alternative. Does anyone have any experience with m0n0 in a large scale VPN deployment?

Maybe it is the client software. I know cisco's client is very good (from an admins point of view at least), hmmmm. Undecided
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 03:19:27 »
cmb *****

PPTP doesn't even compare to IPsec, and m0n0wall doesn't do L2TP. PPTP isn't very secure. There is also a hard coded limit of 16 simultaneous PPTP sessions, though you can create custom images that increase that. I don't know of anyone running very large scale PPTP deployments.

At this time, m0n0wall is not a suitable replacement for a Cisco concentrator in most environments that have the $$ to spend on such a device, in my opinion. Improved IPsec or OpenVPN in the future may change this.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 15:40:53 »
woleium *

Thanks cmb, perhaps i should have a look at a BSD box running OpenVPN  - maybee pfSense would be the way to go (or is that a bad word around here?)
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:07:47 »
cmb *****

Thanks cmb, perhaps i should have a look at a BSD box running OpenVPN  - maybee pfSense would be the way to go (or is that a bad word around here?)

Grin

Nah, it's fine to mention it.

Personally, I use OpenVPN on pfsense and it works great.

Pages: [1]