News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" broken?  (Read 2385 times)
« on: November 06, 2013, 21:56:23 »
nriley *

Hi,

I just updated my 1.8 beta version because I was not seeing RFC 2136 updates take place.  The new beta did not fix this issue.  (It's possible this is an issue of my ISP blocking updates so this is not a bug report until I can manually test this.)

However, now I have upgraded to the latest version, "Register DHCP leases in DNS forwarder" apepars to no longer be working.  I rebooted an attached computer and I see the DHCP lease in the logs but cannot resolve the address.  This worked in the previous 1.8 beta version I was using (about 4-5 betas back, not sure exactly of the revision).  Is this working for anyone else?

Thanks.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 00:35:49 »
nriley *

With some investigation, I discovered this is only broken in 1.8.1b546, probably by the dnsmasq 2.66 upgrade in September.  I see that there is a patch to dnsmasq to enable "old ISC dhcpd integration"; I'm guessing either this patch isn't getting applied or it needs to be ported to the new dnsmasq version.

dnsmasq is getting the correct command-line arguments, and /var/db/dhcpd.leases looks fine; dnsmasq is just not mirroring the leases to DNS.

For the moment I've downgraded to 1.8.1b545, which restores the functionality.   I'd recommend for anyone else who actually wants to make use of this feature to do the same, until this issue is resolved.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 01:07:14 »
Lee Sharp *****

Hmmm...  I have a few systems on 546, and it is working for them internally, but lookups fail.  That is odd...  You see them in the arp table, but not from the ping/traceroute page.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 01:17:42 »
nriley *

I pulled down the source; looks like the patch is written for dnsmasq 2.60, and the changes in b546 just delete the commands that apply the patch without replacing them with anything.

It looks like the existing patch applies relatively cleanly to dnsmasq 2.66 (though I did not test it), so hopefully it'll work when someone gets to it.

I found some discussion from when this problem happened previously:

http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php?topic=5607.0

Pages: [1]