News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Accesspoint with USB wireless device possible?  (Read 1807 times)
« on: December 11, 2013, 14:36:51 »
fips21 *

Hi,
I already spent a lot of time to find out if monowall can handle wireless usb devices in accesspoint mode. I know there is hardware support for Atheros ans Ralink devices but it is not clear if the drivers work in ap mode.

My Ralink RT3070 is such a candidate. It is recognized and installed but I can not select it in web gui. But with my PCI Atheros card it works perfectly!

I looked for the drivers on FreeBSD hardware support pages. For Atheros I found that uath(4) supports most of the devices. But it says "uath supports station, and monitor mode operation." So no possibility to work in ap mode?

Does anyone know any possibility?

Thank you very much.

Regards
Thorsten
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 16:57:00 »
Lee Sharp *****

Most of use doing a lot with WiFi and m0n0wall use dedicated APs and standard Ethernet on the m0n0wall.  The WiFi performance within FreeBSD simply can not compare to a real commercial grade AP.  (also, you can't hook up several of them to light up a large area...)

So, your support will be limited as most of us would rather spend a few dollars, over spending a lot of time getting a cheap and low powered USB device working. Smiley  It is a bit of work to save $87!  http://www.amazon.com/Business-class-High-power-Wireless-n-300MBPS-Access/dp/B005SSQHTM/ref=sr_1_1

And that is for a very good, high powered, N capable AP.

Pages: [1]