News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: 2 WAN IPs, how many cards in monowall for WAN?  (Read 1327 times)
« on: March 03, 2014, 05:11:02 »
turbo *

Hello All,

I have monowall running for a few years now without any problems using one WAN IP and NATed a few services. That is working fine.
Now I am in need of an additional server which should run on it's own WAN IP. I am able to get a 2nd WAN-IP. Also looked through the forum here and checked the manual. It looks I need to setup Server NAT.

To get started I am not quite sure: When getting the 2nd WAN-IP, do I have to put an additional netwerk card into monowall for this 2nd WAN-IP ? Should be, right ? That is where I am not sure.  Huh

My ISP told me, that all the IPs are assigned by DHCP and so far, with one card in monowall facing the outside (direct connected to the modem) I got only one IP.  If I need 2 cards, I know I have to put a switch between mono and the modem.

If one of you could clear this up for me, that would be REALLY helpful.
Thank you so much.

Johannes

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:06:02 »
Lee Sharp *****

My ISP told me, that all the IPs are assigned by DHCP...
Well, that is special.  There is no way for m0n0wall to pull DHCP for two addresses.  We can proxy arp with a known address, but we can't pull two.  Talk to your ISP about a static IP address.  You should be able to assign that, and proxy arp it.
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 16:54:12 »
turbo *

Hi Lee,

thank you for the quick reply. I will check with my ISP.
My main concern ist still open: Do I need 2 networkcards to be able to work with 2 WAN-IPs ?

If you could enlighten me  here ?

Johannes
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 17:09:17 »
Fred Grayson *****

m0n0wall does not support more than one WAN interface.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 17:42:05 »
turbo *

thank you Fred for the quick clarification.

I hope to get this worked out. Otherwise I know where to ask.

Thank you again.
Johannes
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 21:50:52 »
Lee Sharp *****

I am supporting 28 IPs on one nic.  An entire routed subnet, actually, with 1 to 1 NAT.

Pages: [1]