News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: How to enable traffic shaping by MAC  (Read 2886 times)
« on: March 16, 2014, 08:09:42 »
hippo1 *

Hi

is this even possible on Monowall?  Huh

I would need to shape the controlling of traffic by client's MAC address.

- I.e. time to spend online,
- scheduling of allowed time to able to be online,
- etc.

Can this be done somehow on a commanf level without GUI, cause it seems that this is not possible o do in GUI.

I have a system as follows;
M0n0wall version 1.32,  Platform PC Engines ALIX.2D2

Regards,
Tero

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:18 »
Lee Sharp *****

The captive portal really does everything by IP.  The passthrough MAC is really just a behind the scenes workaround to make a MAC into an IP.

The way to get what you want is give a static DHCP assignment to that MAC, and than address it by IP in captive portal.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 09:10:39 »
hippo1 *

The captive portal really does everything by IP.  The passthrough MAC is really just a behind the scenes workaround to make a MAC into an IP.

The way to get what you want is give a static DHCP assignment to that MAC, and than address it by IP in captive portal.

Hi again

Some delay on the posting Smiley

Though still haven't been able to figure out how to set static assignment (ip) with rights to access LAN on certain time of day (as with wireless routers parental controls) Could this be done with firewall rules, pipes and scheduler?  If so, how?  Please advice.

Or please develop a feature for this for the next update.

Otherwise I just have to go and buy a new WLAN device which has these features.
I have checked for these two options btw,
could someone recommend which is better one:

ASUS RT-N56U http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/RTN56U/
TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND http://www.tp-link.fi/products/details/?categoryid=238&model=TL-WR1043ND#down

Router should also support printing services for (HP LJ P2055d) which I guess these two probably do.

Thanks!

T

Pages: [1]