News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Please provide service restart via webUI  (Read 712 times)
« on: June 21, 2014, 15:56:06 »
noloader *

I run m0n0wall on an old Dell GX100. Its got a 233MHz processor and 384 MB of RAM. Its a real turd and I am amazed m0n0wall performs so well on it.

Whenever I change a rule (or make a similar configuration change), I need to reboot the device. I don't do arbitrary reboots; rather I perform a reboot when the software tells me to do so (the message that states a restart is required after clicking Apply or Save button). On this GX100, the reboot takes about 30 to 45 seconds. The BIOS is slow, the processor is slow, everything is slow on this machine.

It would be great if I could simply restart the m0n0wall service, and *not* have to go through a reboot. I expect the service restart to take a couple of seconds. That's a drastic improvement over 30 or 45 seconds.

Thanks in advance for the consideration for this feature request.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:13:28 by noloader »
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 17:29:25 »
Fred Grayson *****

Exactly what are you doing that requires a reboot? Very few things actually do.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 05:17:21 »
noloader *

Exactly what are you doing that requires a reboot? Very few things actually do.

Nothing comes to mind that's out of the ordinary. If I click Apply or Save and I'm told I need a restart, then I reboot the device as instructed.

This is a fresh install of m0n0wall, which might explain why I'm seeing more reboots than normal or expected. I had a power incident at the house, and my running installation got corrupted (hang after 'ipfw2 initialized' during boot).

And sorry I could not list the exact tasks I performed that needed the reboot. I did not take notes, and my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:19:45 by noloader »
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 07:33:26 »
Lee Sharp *****

Major network changes require reboots, but service changes generally do not.  Check again, and if you need a reboot and you are not changing a NIC IP address or scope, report back.

Pages: [1]