News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Traffic Shaping with Wireless Access points  (Read 1100 times)
« on: October 07, 2014, 20:05:57 »
mcali6301 *

I am new to monowalls. I am working with them for managing wireless access points on a hotel property.

The net5501 is connected to a Dell 3524 POE and is "daisy chained" to other switches throughout the property. There are 18 access points total, currently a mix of Ubiquiti and Valuepoint (Valuepoints are being replaced with all Ubiquitis).

I have a question about the "Share bandwidth evenly on LAN" option:

With this enabled, would the gateway basically limit the bandwidth for each AP or each user connected to the AP?

A 20M pipe with 18 access points I imagine this feature would limit every access point to a little over 1M each which does not sound efficient so if that's the case I'm thinking this feature should just be turned off.

IF however all users connected to the access points are limited to 1.1M with this feature, that would be great, but I have my doubts about the gateway being able to accomplish that....

Thoughts?

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:33:54 »
Lee Sharp *****

Not how it works...  It looks at endpoint traffic.  As and example, I fire up apt-get upgrade and start downloading a new kernal.  As the only traffic, I get all the bandwidth.  Now you fire up e-mail.  We alternate packets (you then me then you then me) untill you have your login and headers, then I go back to all the pipe.  From your perspective, you are getting about half bandwidth, and from mine, close to all, but with some occasional drops.  The APs never enter into it.

Pages: [1]