News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Bridge transparent mode inbetween a PPPoE connection  (Read 1729 times)
« on: October 22, 2014, 17:08:03 »
oilman *

I have a cisco router with PPPoE session and a ADSL modem in bridge mode which allows the router to get the public Internet address and everything is working fine. What I would like to do without changing anything on the modem or router is to disconnect the connection between the modem and the router and place the m0n0wall 1.8.1 (with three ethernet interfaces Soekris net4801) WAN interface connected the modem, the OPT interface connected to the router and the LAN interface connected to my local LAN just for m0n0wall configuration access.  This setup is like the picture of the m0n0wall handbook (Figure 13.2 in the section 13.3 Configuring a filtered bridge).  I have the OPT interface configured with Bridge with WAN. Initially I have rules on both WAN and OPT interfaces to allow all traffic any any with any any port.  I also have enabled advanced outbound NAT with no mappings which which I understand is with version 1.8.1 turns off all NAT. Since 1.8.1 does not have the "Enable filtering bridge" box within the System->Advanced page anymore I understand it is on by default.  Note I need the router to continue to have the public IP address for other operational issues so any solution with the m0n0wall as the PPPoE end point is not wanted.

The problem is once I connect the m0n0wall interfaces to the modem and router, the router is never able to make the PPPoE session anymore, if I do a normal IP ping (not within a PPPoE session frame) to modem from the router it pings OK so I know the packets are able to travers the m0n0wall. I am guessing since the PPPoE discovery phase packets do not have any IP address yet the m0n0wall does not pass them and/or maybe m0n0wall is unable to process IP packets within a PPPoE session. I did logging on the rule of any any on both WAN and OPT interfaces and the rule did not report any packets being blocked while the router was trying to make a PPPoE session.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 21:24:38 »
Lee Sharp *****

I am not sure how you are doing it, but your DSL device may be limited to only one MAC behind it...  Try with a small switch inline, and add the router first, and them m0n0wall.
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:40:46 »
oilman *

I tried again trying a little switch as recommended with the same results. Even trying to turn off both router and modem while the m0n0wall device on. I did notice incoming packets to the OPT interface, but no outgoing packets on the WAN interface so the router is sending the PPPoE PADI packets, but it is just not getting to the WAN side. When I remove the inline m0n0wall device and directly connect to the router, the PPPoE session connects right away. Again, it appears my original conclusion of the bridge mode is not passing non IP packets i.e. PPPoE PADI packets through appears to be the issue. I am thinking my case is not really the normal usage for the m0n0wall.

Pages: [1]