News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: virtio driver support for KVM virtualisation  (Read 790 times)
« on: December 14, 2014, 13:46:50 »
ahofman *

I have been using m0n0wall for years now, the last few years to add IPv6 tunnel support and fireballing to my network. Recently have moved m0n0wall from a physical computer to a virtual KVM server. Would it be possible to add virtue drivers to m0n0wall  since this will reduce the load significantly . currently this virtual host is using 30% cpu due virtualising the harddisk and e1000 network drivers.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 17:10:12 »
Lee Sharp *****

Possible?  Yes.  Done?  Probably not, unless you want to help.  You will have to build a FreeBSD 8 environment that works with the virtio drivers, then upload them to m0n0wall for testing. After than an image with them can be made for other testing.  If it works, it can probably be added in.

Also, you only have to worry about nic.  The hard drive is only mounted to boot and read or save config.  Most of the time it sits idle, and m0n0wall runs from ram.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 18:51:05 »
pocket_geek *

I've added the virtio drivers (virtio, virtio_pci, virtio_blk, virtio_scsi, virtio_balloon, vtnet) to the svn version (1.8.2b574) and compiled/rebuilt the image.  You can grab them here:  http://geekweb.pgnet.us/m0n0wall

I've done very little testing, so use at your own risk.

* m0n0virtio.png (10.22 KB, 604x325 - viewed 106 times.)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 22:43:55 »
Lee Sharp *****

Very nice!  If there is some good testing, we aught to import your changes.  Did you do anything besides add files?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:24:50 »
pocket_geek *

Linux KVM virtio drivers are included in FreeBSD 8.4.  All I had to do was enable them in the kernel hints file and recompile/build the image.

I added the following lines to the end of M0N0WALL_GENERIC.i386

Code:
#virtio drivers for linux kvm
device          virtio
device          virtio_pci
device          virtio_balloon
device          virtio_blk
device          virtio_scsi
device          vtnet

Nothing else was changed.

Pages: [1]