News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: DNS, RDNS, WINS, NetBIOS... what do I need? Can monowall handle it?  (Read 292 times)
« on: February 03, 2015, 12:13:09 »
reach *

Hi there,
the title of this thread must sound a bit confusing, so let me explain:
every now and then I'm not sure if I have all the services I need available in my home-LAN.
One example is a "WD-live" set top box which always loses network connection and needs reboot. Google suggests issues with DNS and/or Wins.

I use monowall as DHCP server and that's pretty much it.
Do I need more for a foolproof network in which most devices should work?
I looked into using BIND on my linux server for DNS, and then maybe also use this server for DHCP, but I have no clue if this makes any sense or solves any such problem as described above.

I know this post might not make entirely sense due to my limited knowledge, but maybe you can point me into a direction I should focus my googeling?
Thx!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 15:44:44 »
Fred Grayson *****

Have you tried asking in the WD Live support forum?

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Home-Entertainment/ct-p/wdtv_home_entertainment

Pick the right forum though.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 17:04:20 »
reach *

yes, I have. That's what I've meant with "Google suggests..."
They also suggest something like a domain "master browser", which is in my case the linux server, which should be good.
However, I'd like to make sure that I have all the usual services available in my network, to exclude that point of failure.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 17:19:48 »
Fred Grayson *****

DNS, RDNS, WINS, and Netbios are not services m0n0wall can offer you.

--
Google is your friend and Bob's your uncle.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 23:30:40 »
Lee Sharp *****

But the DNS forwarder does a lot of DNS stuff, and covers most of the bases...  Especially since Windows can use DNS when WINS fails.  RDNS, WINS, and Netbios are right out, however.

Pages: [1]