News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Dual/Multi-WAN, when?  (Read 22051 times)
« on: June 18, 2007, 10:43:34 »
killah *

Is there any date for Dual/Multi-WAN suport will be added to m0n0wall?

When can we expect it? It would be really nice if m0n0wall supported dynamic load balancing and failover when one of WAN connections is broken.

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 04:28:43 »
cmb *****

Whenever someone who wants the functionality writes it. No one is working on it at this time.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 15:47:41 »
markb ****

You could always try pfsense http://www.pfsense.com Based on Monowall it also supports multiple WAN.

Mark.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 10:24:12 »
killah *

I know about pfSense, but it's not the same as m0n0wall. Right now I'm running pfSense on embedded WRAP platform. m0n0wall was like 10 times faster, used less processor power, less memory and so on..

So, it would be really nice to have this Dual/Multi WAN functionality on m0n0wall. It would be nice even if m0n0wall could obtain IP address from DHCP server on OPT interfaces. I could make somekind of Dual WAN then, but without failover option.
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 18:02:17 »
phe4321 *

With business DSL and Cable Internet service being so cheap, more businesses are using multi-WAN setups. I am currently in that situation of adding a DSL connection along with our T1. We want the T1 to be only a fail-over with no round-robin balancing. It would be a very good feature for M0n0wall. PFSense isn't booting for me. I don't know what the problem is, which is why I'm writing this to the M0n0wall guys. I am not a programmer, so I can't write the code. The response "Whenever someone who wants the functionality writes it. No one is working on it at this time." was a pretty poor answer.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 22:20:05 »
bugsfix *

Hello.. I would also like to see this feature..
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 17:51:27 »
Dominic *

I am with that. It would make m0n0wall a much more complete (business) solution. Just this dual wan and WPA (2) for WLAN.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 15:21:01 »
eddiefdz *

I would also like to see this feature. We have dual T1's at our office andwhat I have is essentially two monowall boxes at this point. I keep the configuration the same on both but one is active on the network at a time. It would be really cool to have dual WAN interfaces for redundancy. If not, then atleast have some type of High Availabiliy heartbeat between two monowalls on an active/passive scenario.

Thanks,
Eddie
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2007, 22:37:39 »
JorgeAldoBR *

IPFW is not relly helpfull when it comes to Dual-WAN. pfSense supports this because PacketFilter makes this much easier...

I have an idea how to implement this on monowall, not a "automagic" thing, but i think it works...

my idea needs the following setup :

<modem/router1> -----\
......................................-------<monowallbox> --------- <switch>---- <clients>
<modem/router2> -----/

1 - Disable NAT on monowall.
2 - Set modem/router1 internal side IP to 192.168.1.1
3 - Set modem/router2 internal side IP to 192.168.1.2
4 - Set monowall WAN IP to 192.168.1.3
5 - Set monowall LAN IP to 192.168.1.4
6 - Set all clients gateway to 192.168.1.1 (all static IP)
7 - Create two netsh scripts for each machine, one that makes the gateway point to 192.168.1.1 and the other points the gateway to 192.168.1.2

using this setup I THINK (did not test it yet) that you can achieve failover and load-balancing (But needs user intervention).

The other way uses dynamic IP : In the captive-portal, besides of the comon login and password fields, the user is presented a third option, a combo-box with all avaliable gateways. Upon logging up his entry in the dhcp mapping is changed to reflect his selected gateway and in the next renewall he gets to be routed thru his selected gateway.

upon link-down he will perceive the lack of internet and go back to the captive portal page and select another gateway.

This second way is harder to implement but i think would be a very good addition to monowall...

Edit: I was reviewing this post and found that it would only work if monowall worked as a ethernet bridge. Using it as a router makes impossible to use gateways behind him. So it ends up as needing a dual monowall setup to work as i said.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2007, 06:12:51 by JorgeAldoBR »
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 10:16:56 »
D0X *

This is an old thread but the topic is still alive i think.

Is dual-wan support taken into consideration for the 1.3 branch?
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 11:00:57 »
thedix ***

I'm planning to make multi-WAN feature in my m0n0wall mod:
http://code.google.com/p/m0n0wall-mod/
Also policy-based routing and some kind of failover will be implemented.
I don't give any promises regarding deadlines (this year/next year) because I'm busy.
But you may write letters to me with vision of this feature.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:09:05 by thedix »

Pages: [1]