News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: m0n0wall + existing router configuration  (Read 3004 times)
« on: June 20, 2007, 13:55:57 »
kbhk *

Hello
I have tried to find information about this for quite a while now, but now i lost patience and would really appreciate any help.
We are a small sized company who bought a soekris board and is using m0n0wall on it. We have a router already that we use to connect to our ISP. Our problem is to configure the router so that all control is in m0n0wall. The router shouldnt be DHCP server anymore it should be managed by the m0n0wall. The ISP info(login/DNS) should be kept in the router, so that all it does is to forward all outbound traffic to the isp and forward everything incoming to the m0n0wall. We cant connect to the router at all, cant ping it and (of course) cant connect to the internet. This is our network structure(pretty basic)

(http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/6929/netlx2.th.jpg)

So do we have to forward all ports on the router to the monowall IP(10.0.0.2) and let it take care of it from there? Or what is the typical setup, cant seem to find any information about it.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 14:56:55 »
markb ****

Hi,
This should be quite simple.  I'm not sure how much you know about networking, so I'll keep this simple.  Your basic problem, is that your ISP router and PC's are all on the same network, IP speaking. While in fact your ISP router is behind your monowall. Your Monowall has 2 interfaces, WAN and LAN.  these need to have IP addresses in different subnets or it will not know where to send the traffic.

E.g.

Monowall LAN Interface 10.0.0.2
Monowall WAN Interface 10.0.1.2

ISP Router LAN Interface 10.0.1.1

Then have all traffic from the ISP router forwarded to the WAN interface of the Monowall.

Hope this helps.

Mark.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 16:34:42 »
kbhk *

thanks alot! I had to figure out to put 10.0.1.1 in monowalls DNS server list and keep original DNS servers in the router, i think thats what made it(and putting them on different subnets like u said)

Pages: [1]