News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: Alias group support  (Read 4885 times)
« on: July 19, 2007, 14:37:19 »
daepunt *

It would be very cool for m0n0wall to support aliases that can consist of multiple IP addresses or subnets.

NetScreen firewalls support a feature called "Multiple Addresses" in rule making, which allows the admin of the firewall to define a set of addresses/subnets and group them together in a rule, which saves a lot of separate rules indicating a different source/destination address for every rule...

And, yeah, once we have this feature in m0n0wall, I suppose grouping services (HTTP, HTTPS, SSH) together in a "wrapper" would make rule making easy-piecy!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 15:46:33 »
TI *

Groups are like THE most important add you could have.
it's a very basic features but very important too.

It would be very nice to have that !
thx dev.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 14:14:23 »
TI *

I saw it in the TODO list.
Is it planed for the new major release (1.3 ?) or for later ?

any news ? thx.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 12:54:07 »
TI *

It's now the only thing left in the TODO for 1.3 Smiley

Can't wait Smiley

Great job everybody !!
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 06:20:30 »
lspiehler *

I'm very new to routers outside of basic retail units, but I've been going through the monowall handbook and playing with features on the router I built, and as soon as I read about aliases, I saw an alternative use for it other than what is mentioned in the handbook. I understand it makes changing IPs easier, but like daepunt said, if it allowed multiple IPs, it could be used to group IPs for rules, or for priorities when shaping. It sucked to see how old these posts are. The topic was brought up 2 years ago and still no support. I'm extremely grateful for the developers work, but I hope you agree with me that it could be useful to add this feature. Thank you!
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:28:18 »
moonwhaler *

Since it's in the TODO list, there's no need to push it further, but I like the idea a lot! (!)  Tongue

Pages: [1]