News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: VPN and Windows XP  (Read 2749 times)
« on: August 02, 2007, 20:37:29 »
redeye1962 *

I am trying to setup a VPN and access the network via Mobil Client. I used the information given (except using the safenet sw) to set everything up. I used the IP address of the monowall firewall and it appears to connect but cannot verify the user name and password. I use the information I placed in the Pre-Shared keys page but still get the same error. I have changed IP addresses and User name and passwords but still not able to get through. (man this firewall is good)
I am using the VPN setup in XP to access the network on the remote PC.

What I am trying to achieve is to gain access  to my work computer from home. I have tried setting up the VPN several ways and none of them has worked. I know I cannot use a 192.168.. address because that is an internal IP address so I have been using the Firewall IP address.

I will continue to check around to see what I can do but would like some help as well.

Thank You,
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 22:56:59 »
redeye1962 *

Alright, Here is an update. I was able to get a connection, but now what? I would like to have some use of my desktop if at all possible. I realize this is a stupid question but I am used to log me in or pc anywhere. Any ideas?

By the way, I am not sure how I was able to connect. still trying to figure that out.
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:27:42 »
XIII *

Set your m0n0wall to use a 10.0.0.0 or 172.16-172.31 and have your remote pc use 192.168
that should fix your connection problem. install tightvnc/winvnc on the pc you want to access but block it in the firewall so that it can only be accessed from the lan/VPN or use logmein (logmein.com) its free but you cant transfer files and you dont have to set up a vpn. with a vpn you can transfer files as if you were there.
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 16:10:02 »
redeye1962 *

Yet another update, breaktrhrough and roadblock. After doing some research Windows xp pro has a remote desktop connection that should work as an emulator. I can connect through the vpn connection but when trying to connect hte remote desktop it cannot find the computer. I have tried several things trying to locate the computer I am trying to access I.E the computer name, IP address but get an error that states it cannot be found, meanwhile I have a connection with it. I tried connecting with remote desktop only but will not connect.
Any thoughts?
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 20:55:34 »
liggyman *

Have you enabled remote desktop on your machine?

Right Click 'My Computer' -> 'Properties...' -> 'Remote' tab -> Under remote connections there should be a checkbox to enable Remote Desktop.
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 21:36:03 »
redeye1962 *

Yes, Remote Desktop is activated. Some other things that are a bit confusing are:
When connected, I try to ping the computer and monowall and no go. I think I have a routing or VPN problem. I was thinking about starting from scratch and see if that will work because I have changed the firewall so many times I am not sure what is original.

Pages: [1]