News: This forum is now permanently frozen.
Pages: [1]
Topic: VPN Issues  (Read 1520 times)
« on: August 13, 2007, 17:06:44 »
ouberlord *

Hello,

Many of my clients use Monowall-based devices as their gateways for their LAN's access to the internet.  However, two of the ones that I have checked are having issues with VPN access.  Here's the setups:

Client A)
Generic-PC Monowall, 1.3b3.  (Previously running 1.231, upgraded to see if the problem would be resolved)

Client B)
net48xx Monowall, 1.3b3.  (Previously running 1.231, upgraded to see if the problem would be resolved)

Both clients are set up to redirect incomping PPTP connections to the server on the LAN.

The NAT rule is:
WAN  TCP  1723  192.168.X.X  1723
The firewall rule is:
TCP  *  *  192.168.X.X  1723  NAT

On a Vista machine I can successfully VPN in, can ping hosts via IP but cannot ping via hostnames, and cannot access any server shares as it brings up an authentication prompt that doesn't seem to want to take any credentials / domain users that I throw at it.

On an XP machine the vpn connection hangs at "Verifying username and password" until it times out.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:28 »
markb ****

2 ideas.
With regards to the vista machine and pinging host names.  Have a look and the dns suffix. you might have to specify one in the VPN connection properties.
With regards to the XP machine.  have a look a the firewall.  I have seen similar problems that turned out to be firewall issues and had to add the VPN host name to trusted

Happy hunting.

Mark.

Pages: [1]